• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hard to get ahead of the forest critters here, raccoons usually strip the trees before I find them. When ripe you can smell them in the woods, strong sweet smell, I just follow that like a dog.;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive eaten ONE in my life. Tasted kinda good. 40 years ago. Boyhood home and the 3 acre woods next door had dozens of trees. Would produce fruit, but I seldom saw a ripe one even though I'd see them growing on the trees.

Sadly critters are more in tune than we are and they will nab them the night they turn ripe.

City Boy here......
    What the hell is a pappaw??
    Also known as the Indiana banana.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Been eating them since the 70’s. Grew up near a bog and river low flood lands. Have to get back this week and check. Some years you find hundreds and other years a dozen. Use to bring home on the 3 wheeler and show kids about them and send them home to their parents to try. They say they are great with ice cream but have never tried. Gotta be like a banana split.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As a picky eater, I still like them. Once you see them falling, you can go into the patch and give the trees a little shake. The more ripe ones will fall. Sometimes you can get them to ripen on the windowsill and sometimes not.

Many or a few trees growing close together could be clones - they freely send up root sprouts and expand. Problem is that, as clones, they will not cross-pollinate. You need more than one genotype to get cross-pollination.

The Corps of Discovery survived on pawpaws for quite a while on their return trip, due to bad planning and that being all that was available then.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hard to get ahead of the forest critters here, raccoons usually strip the trees before I find them. When ripe you can smell them in the woods, strong sweet smell, I just follow that like a dog.;)
    The trees and especially the leaves themselves have a strong smell if damaged.

Indiana bananas.. fruit that sorta kinda tastes like a banana to some people
    I think they taste like a cross between a banana and a cantaloupe but better than either.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Give the tree a very gentle shake. Those that fall are ready. One year we picked several 5 gallon buckets full. They do not freeze very well, but we have not yet tried freeze drying them. They undergo a chemical reaction if stored too long, whether frozen or not. Fresh, they are awesome. As said above, a cross between banana and mango. even after a couple of weeks frozen, they start having a weird taste. I don’t find it pleasant. Pawpaws are everywhere in the southern Indiana woods.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Grandkids and i went today. Some ready many more hanging. Go back next weekend when the kids are back. All 4 on a mission to find them. They actually remembered what to do when they got into nettles
    Dog rolled in coyote crap.. = bath when we got back to the house. Overall a great ending to the day. We all needed it! 3500047B-E834-47EC-8944-33DC53AEAA63.jpeg 2C115ED7-8254-4A20-9D55-3AFFF469D1C1.jpeg

Top Bottom