• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Rocky finished Friday. Very pleased with his work.

IMG_20160909_133905772_HDR_zpsouviuzok.jpg

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Very nice. Looks great.

Thanks.

gongrats, just in time to get us all fired up. have you had it scored yet?

LOL. I didn't score him. It's not really important to me. I mostly hunt for the meat. I shot one in 1991 that I had to have mounted, and when I saw how nice this one was, I had to have him done as well. My wife says 2 is enough. I hunt 73 acres across the street from me, and they have been logging for 2 to 3 weeks. I bet they have taken 1000 trees. I'm a little nervous about what it will do to my hunting. I can't wait much longer to get in there to check it out. They should be done this week.

1991 buck had a bigger body, but smaller rack.

IMG_20151114_211127193_zpscbvopmvk.jpg

1991 buck had a bigger body, but smaller rack.
    IMG_20151114_211127193_zpscbvopmvk.jpg

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Looks good! Who did you have do it? My dad had a deer mounted from last season and it wasn't done as well as our others have been in the past.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Nice one!

As to the logging, don't sweat it. This year may stink, but the next few years will be much better than ever. Just plan on trees for a stand to be harder to find.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Looks good! Who did you have do it? My dad had a deer mounted from last season and it wasn't done as well as our others have been in the past.

Rocky Smith near Frankfort. I believe it was Hookeye that recommended him. He has a very good reputation, and tons of awards.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nice buck! (and mount).
    My cousin had his buck done by Rocky, as has another bud.
    I merely passed along their recommendations.

On the timbered woods.......

Enjoy picking burrs from your clothes ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My once major hardwoods was pretty "clean". Timbered out, the next yr there were a lot of burrs.
    2nd yr...........worse.

Now hunting a smaller place, timbered. Probably even more burrs!

Fleece is a no-no.

I'll just sit in stand and slowly remove one now and then, helps pass the time when deer aren't around.
    Of course I'll get a zillion removed, get down at the end of the hunt.............and walk through a bunch more.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My once major hardwoods was pretty "clean". Timbered out, the next yr there were a lot of burrs.
    2nd yr...........worse.

Now hunting a smaller place, timbered. Probably even more burrs!

Fleece is a no-no.

I'll just sit in stand and slowly remove one now and then, helps pass the time when deer aren't around.
    Of course I'll get a zillion removed, get down at the end of the hunt.............and walk through a bunch more.

I hate burrs!!! On the bright side, my neighbor, the land owner, has been in the woods and says there are deer tracks all over the trails the loggers are using. They also did not cut done the tree I put a wooden ladder stand in. It is a nice straight tree, so I can take it down and use my climber. Also, I am usually about 20 to 25 feet up, and plan to use my old Remington 700 in 30-06 with a nice Leupold scope, so I should not have any trouble restocking the freezer.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm on the edge of a timbered corner (open fields beyond).
    Ruger #1 RSI in .243 win w 4X Leupold is my main rig this yr.
    Am sitting in a chair, cruising the web.......table to my right has steel wool and a box of older .300 Savage ammo (R-P factory loads).
    Not bad, but a little tarnished. Just cleaning them up......will see how the 1935 Savage 99 likes 'em this weekend.
    Iron sights.........it's my doe popper, maybe.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    What honks me off about those little burrs..........they break off now and then, leave a little snagger in the skin and drive me freakin' nuts.
    Gotta drag a knife blade across it, sometimes a couple of times, to get 'em out.
    My gun stand just has rose bushes in the way.
    Bow stand has those &^%$#@ burrs all around. Tracking a deer.............clothes get loaded with 'em. Pretty annoying.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    That's an awesome deer, congrats. I'm still waiting on mine and kind of nervous as what to expect from the position ( semi sneak ) I chose.

I have seen some "sneak" mounts that really looked good. Share it with the rest of us when you get it back.

Top Bottom