• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    As the title says ... Pistol Weapon Light ... I have never purchased or used one. I read an article on them and it sounds like it all comes down to total the total light output and how broad the beam is.

Is that all there is to it? There seems to be a very wide span of costs, if that is primarily it. What would you expect to find in a $300+ unit that you wouldn't find in one that is 1/3 that cost?

Please educate this new consumer.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Is that all there is to it? There seems to be a very wide span of costs, if that is primarily it. What would you expect to find in a $300+ unit that you wouldn't find in one that is 1/3 that cost?
    Robustness and reliability.

With very few exceptions, the Streamlight TLR-1 HL being one of them, you get what you pay for when it comes to WMLs.

Surefire, Modlight, Streamlight. And if Cloud Defensive ever comes to market with theirs...them too.

All others are "also rans" in terms of reliability and robustness. AND holster availability.

That said, a WML on a handgun isn't necessary unless it's for duty use.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Other than reliability and other factors already mentioned, pay attention to the battery if/when you go to purchase one. What type of batteries does it take? How long can they last? Are they rechargeable? These things make a big difference.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    First, do you have a handheld light? That’s step number one. If you don’t, I’d suggest getting a handheld first as they‘re used more often, and are more versatile than a WML. WMLs are pretty specific niche tools.

To your question, to make it simple, get one of the variations of the stream light TLR-1. They’re reasonably priced and a popular enough that light compatible holster makers usually make one for the TLR-1. You will always find a use for a TLR-1, even if you get something different/“better“ later on.

THEN IMPORTANTLY - Get some lowlight training.

It is not as simple as hanging a gun on your pistol and then using it like you’ve always used a “flashlight.”

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Buy one that is robust and reliable and gets great reviews.

Make sure it is from one of the major manufacturers of weapon lights so that you can ensure finding holster compatibility.

You are on the right track by understanding that all self-defense weapons should have a light on them. Cheers.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    If you're talking a duty-sized handgun, and ever want to stick it in a holster, the TLR-1 and the X300 are your two options.

If you like good reliability and performance at a fair price, then Streamlight is your winner. If you absolutely must have the best and don't mind paying for it, the Surefire options are great, but don't fool yourself into thinking that you're getting 3x the light for 3x the money.

For a smaller gun I don't mind the TLR-7/7A. I have no experience with the Surefire compact lights, but I'd trust them based on reputation alone.

Also, plan to buy yourself a good handheld light, and invest in some decent training. There's a lot more to properly using a weapon mounted light than just walking around your house with a flashlight when the power goes out.

cavallo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2023
    Brownsburg
    If you're talking a duty-sized handgun, and ever want to stick it in a holster, the TLR-1 and the X300 are your two options.
    Yes, this is me. Got a Glock 41 on order (being shipped to the FFL.) More than duty-sized; downright full-figured.

If you like good reliability and performance at a fair price, then Streamlight is your winner...
    Good quality at a fair price is my middle name. (Yes it looks funny on a business card.)

In total transparency, I have a lot of pistols already and they serve most of my practical needs. Other than sights, most are bone stock. The G41 is a pistol of slightly cartoonish proportions and it inspires me to make it into a fun, intentionally slightly ridiculous big "tacticool" range toy that may eventually become a serious bedside gun if it proves to be also practical and reliable over time.

Sounds like the TLR-1 or X300 are my answers. If I make the switch to seriously using it for home defense, a refresher low-light training class would be in order.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I've got both Surefire and Streamlight options.

I like the Streamlight better but you get more cool guy points for Surefire.

That being said, these are not on carry guns. I cannot deal with the huge gap in the trigger guard coverage that a light necessitates.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    A lot of it depends on how you plan to use it. Bedside? CCW?
    --Bedside only, the size doesn't matter (insert juvenile joke here)
    --CCW then size makes a difference.

The type of light you have on the pistol will also impact holster availability.

Your environment also makes a difference. If you are in a rural area then the throw and hotspot make a difference. Generally you would want more candela and a tighter hotspot to be able to ID a potential target and penetrate deeper (not deep) into a tree line. [ETA: these are actually equally important for both rural and urban settings]

Durability. Run time. Battery availability. These all are considerations and have been mentioned.

How does it mount to your pistol can be a consideration. Lever or screw. This affects ease if you need to remove it. A screw should be checked periodically and witness marked.

Ease of activation. Where is the switch / button located and can you activate it with your strong hand only.

Just some quick random considerations to consider.

Surefire X300 Turbo and Stream Light TLR-7 are 2 good units that come to mind.

#rabbithole

Last edited:

RSindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2021
    Carmel
    When it comes to pistol weapon lights, while light output and beam width are crucial, higher-priced units often offer additional features such as enhanced durability, improved battery life, better water resistance, and advanced mounting options. Additionally, pricier models might include more reliable activation switches and advanced modes for different scenarios. Considering your budget, I would recommend looking for a unit that balances these factors while ensuring reliability and ease of use for your specific needs.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    tyTFy0Y.jpg

The Surefire X-300 is the undisputed king of pistol lights. They are absolutely dead reliable and will always work (assuming you keep fresh batteries in it). I have seen enough cheap O-Ligbts fail at work to chance something like that. A pistol mounted light in a low light scenario is a big advantage, the 300 has enough light to spill into an entire room and blind whomever is on the receiving end.

Top Bottom