• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Just bought first AR15, and want to stock up on some mags. Rifle will be used mostly for recreational shooting.
    Will probably go with pmags, but was wondering about the M2 vs. M3 versions. I've been reading about the differences, but would like some practical advice on if it's worth spending a little more for the M3.
    Also would like some advice on windowed vs. non-windowed.

And lastly, what about magazine loaders/unloaders. Is it worth getting one?

I plan on buying ten mags to start with and will give some of them to my son-in-law, as he only has the one his rifle came with. If I decide to get a magazine loader, I will probably get him one as well.

Thanks

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Wait for the Gen2 to go on sale. You can usually get them for 8.99 each and they work just fine. They are what i use at the range and ive never have an issue with them.

Although I have no experience with the Gen3 in the windowed or nonwindowed variety.

And if you really want some top notch you could always go with the Lancer mags

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    If you're looking for something like "oh those gen#s are junk but the gen#s fix everything and solve the worlds problems, you won't find it. Both are decent, gen 3s were to address some customer notes (I think complaint might be too strong a word) and just change things up a bit. Gen2s are $10-12 regular and go on sale as mentioned. gen3s are usually $15-18 and a lot less likely to go on sale.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/328725-latest-deal-pmags-thread.html for sales and deals.

I have a stack of gen3s, a gen1, and some IMI and GI mags. I haven't used them enough to give details but they all work but the metal ones tend to drop free easier.

As for a loader... how often do you plan on shooting? how much at a time? AR mags are a lot easier to load than most pistol mags but you can easily spend a lot of time loading them.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    IIRC the only real differences between the gen 2 and the gen 3 is that they added some texture to the gen 3 (nothing that couldn't be duplicated with the right tape) and the gen 3s come with the cover. If you plan on storing the mags loaded then the cover is a good idea because it presses down on the rounds just a little to keep the pressure off the feed lips. If you aren't going to store them loaded then wait for the gen 2s to go on sale.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I'll probably always have 1 mag loaded, but not all. So maybe I'll get two gen 3's and ten gen 2's, and share them with my son-in-law.
    As for loading them, yeah I was just thinking of time savings, not too concerned about the ease. Don't have loaders for my AKs, but usually only shoot 1 mag when I get them out.

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have a few gen 3 pmags, dont look really seem to be much different than the gen 2s, I think I heard they were suppose to be stronger or something.

But the mags that sit in my rifle all the time are these, I just prefer the metal mags, They drop free alot faster from what ive been able to tell.

AR-15 Magazines

going forward I plan to buy more of these.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Minor differences between Gen2 and Gen3. Windowed are okay, but I don't see it as a need. It's either loaded or it's not. Once you get down to 12-15 rounds, it's in the magwell and you can't see it anyway.

I have many Pmags and there's one feature that I think justifies them. The "dust cap". More accurately, it's a pressure cap to keep the ammo pushed down and off the feed lips. I have these loaded and at the ready. For target shooting and for general use, just get some good ol steel GI mags. Most have anti-tilt followers and will take a lot of abuse. They're also cheaper. If you're wanting polymer mags, there's a video on youtube that's titles "why I'll never buy another Pmag". It's not a pmag bashing video, but he compares to another polymer mag that has added benefits. Just don't recall what they're called.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have a few gen 3 pmags, dont look really seem to be much different than the gen 2s, I think I heard they were suppose to be stronger or something.

But the mags that sit in my rifle all the time are these, I just prefer the metal mags, They drop free alot faster from what ive been able to tell.

AR-15 Magazines

going forward I plan to buy more of these.

I picked up about 6 from the last 1500 I went to for $8 each. No issues yet.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    I have a mix of everything it seems. They all work as they should. In the end I prefer metal mags as for me they seem to lock up quicker and fall free faster. I have one mag that is my favorite and if I had it my way I'd have nothing but this brand. HK mags are the bomb. They run like they are on rollers and grease and are built like a brick ****house...

..... and don't let Tomahawkman fool ya.. he has to plan on buying more in the future because half of what he currently has are prolly mine... (Damn kids)

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If you stay with an AR, any of them will work. If you go with a 5.56 rifle that claims to be compatible with pmags be wary. A beretta arx won't take gen 3 mags. Works fine with gen 2

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    I have a mix of everything it seems. They all work as they should. In the end I prefer metal mags as for me they seem to lock up quicker and fall free faster. I have one mag that is my favorite and if I had it my way I'd have nothing but this brand. HK mags are the bomb. They run like they are on rollers and grease and are built like a brick ****house...

..... and don't let Tomahawkman fool ya.. he has to plan on buying more in the future because half of what he currently has are prolly mine... (Damn kids)

Just saw this, haha

For The record I only borrowed the colt mag for a few months the rest are mine :): But whenever you wanna get rid of that HK mag Ill trade you your colt mag for it. :lmfao:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Stick with the GI mags and upgrade the followers. I've never had one of them fail. Even with standard followers they work fine usually. I did however have a pmag that was loaded when dropped puke out 10 of the 30 rounds in it. It had cracked on impact( landed flat on its side)right at the base of the feed lip. Completely useless at that point. You mash the lip on a good metal magazine and you can massage it back into straight usually without too much heart ache. Of course you wont look nearly as tacticool as the fellers using Pmags. ;-)

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive got a number of different mags from various manufactures with the G2 and G3 Pmags being among them. Ive never had an issue with either of them, Ive ran the G2s in Run-N-Gun and other carbine courses and never had an issue. For the price when you catch them on sale are tough to pass up. Also just a regular GI mag is worth getting into as well they can usually be had pretty cheap also. As of right now my go to mag is the Lancer war fighter mag, they use a steel feed lip incorporated into a polymer mag body. Kind of giving the best of both worlds you get the strength of metal were you need it and the weight savings of a polymer body. These can be had for not much more than a Pmag. But for mags just to take to the range to have some fun with, Id say about any of them would serve you well OP.

Top Bottom