• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... while still enjoying it at the range. ...

Just so you know, most folks don't consider these range guns in the sense of plinking around for the afternoon. They're so light, the recoil is pretty brisk with +p - making extended range sessions taxing for the avg person. They're ok, I suppose, with standard loads, but from what I've seen a lot of the people who have these don't shoot them enough to be really proficient with them, imho. Nothing wrong with them. Just sayin'.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Just so you know, most folks don't consider these range guns in the sense of plinking around for the afternoon. They're so light, the recoil is pretty brisk with +p - making extended range sessions taxing for the avg person. They're ok, I suppose, with standard loads, but from what I've seen a lot of the people who have these don't shoot them enough to be really proficient with them, imho. Nothing wrong with them. Just sayin'.

This is right on the money. When I go shooting, I can't say I look forward to shooting a bunch of rounds through my snubbies. Sometimes, I have to force myself to practice with my carry gun. I reload, and I make my 38 special target loads light, but there's still quite a bit of "snap" after each round. God forbid you get the notion to run some full house 357 loads out of your LCR like I did. I'm not recoil sensative at all, but 50 rounds will put a little soreness in you.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    Can't go wrong with the Ruger LCR, one of the best revolvers for concealed carry. It has the best trigger I have seen for a revolver out of the box!

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My pocket carry revolver is a S&W 442 Airweight and I love it! Very easy to carry and great shooter.

I agree the LCR is an excellent choice and Ruger gave it one of the best out of the box DA triggers I have ever felt.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My carry revolver is a 442. I wouldnt even consider a Taurus considering the price difference isnt that great, and the Smith is a much more refined revolver. Smith vs Ruger LCR, on the other hand, is a different story. My wife decided on the LCR after nearly a year of deliberating with herself. It is a good revolver with a super light trigger for a revolver, and is pretty accurate. Everything said, I would still for a 442, or one of smiths Airweight revolvers for a CC option. The new poly revolvers just arent my cup of tea.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I bought an LCR shortly after they came out, and it's been my carry ever since. I've carried my M&P40c a few times CC during the winter, but was so used to the LCR being so light and comfortable to carry, that I went back to it after only a couple days. Inever leave home without my LCR. :)

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Another +1 for the LCR .357.

I carry mine almost everyday. Calling the DA trigger great or fantastic or whatever would be an understatement. I honestly dont normally care for DAO guns but this one is so smooth that I dont even think about it when shooting it. I also carry it when Im on my bike alot. I never forget that its there but I never "feel" it either you know what I mean.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    i have a model 60 that fits great in my pocket but i carry my PF9 3 extra rounds smaller and lighter

Pete

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    I carry either a Ruger SP101 in 357 or a S&W model 36 in 38 special when I need a pocket revolver.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    The look of the LCR doesn't bother me. If pretty guns are more accurate or scare off bad guys more easily, I'm in. Otherwise I'll stick the ugly thing in my pocket and that will be that. I think I've decided on getting the LCR, though I'll have to wait to get back to NC to buy one (I dislike not being a resident here sometimes). Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Reading through this thread reminds me of the historical context of all this.

Today, when we think of a "pocket" revolver, we're usually thinking of a small-frame, 5-shot, 2" revolver of lightweight construction, say 16 oz on down (ex. S&W J-frames, LCR, and the like).

It wasn't all that long ago that a pocket revolver was simply a steel-framed 6-shooter with the barrel cut down (over 28 ounces). "Fitz specials" and the like.

As pockets, clothing styles, metallurgy/composite technology have changed - so has our image of a pocket revolver!

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    lcr's are great guns, i personaly like being able to shoot SA if i want. but with that said in the situation where a pocket relover would be used 99 times out of a 100 it would be used as DA anyways.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I have the LCR as well. It carrys and shoots great. Get it in 357 so you have the option to shoot the lower recoil .38 rounds at range.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom