• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    crap...I just got my new M&P 9 a couple weeks ago and have yet had a chance to go to Kodiak and fire it. My wife is planning on using it in the Feb 1,2, & 3rd women's class. I just got the Apex hard sear in the mail this week so haven't had a chance to put that in either. Maybe I'll hit the range Friday afternoon when I get off work to see if mine could be having the same issues...fingers crossed.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    crap...I just got my new M&P 9 a couple weeks ago and have yet had a chance to go to Kodiak and fire it. My wife is planning on using it in the Feb 1,2, & 3rd women's class. I just got the Apex hard sear in the mail this week so haven't had a chance to put that in either. Maybe I'll hit the range Friday afternoon when I get off work to see if mine could be having the same issues...fingers crossed.

It won't.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Zimm:

The instances of light primer strikes were all at your range, right?

All you allow is lead-free ammo...right?

Like the above mentioned Winchester Winclean?

Any chance that this has to do with the primers on this lead-free stuff? Any pictures of the dimples on the light-struck ammo...or was it re-chambered and fired on second try?

Pics of the light-strike vs. fired cartridge would be handy if possible.

As to the ammo above: If the ammo is all lead-free that this is happening to, it'd be nice to know how old the ammo is.

Last edited:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Zimm:

The instances of light primer strikes were all at your range, right?

All you allow is lead-free ammo...right?

Like the above mentioned Winchester Winclean?

Any chance that this has to do with the primers on this lead-free stuff? Any pictures of the dimples on the light-struck ammo...or was it re-chambered and fired on second try?

Pics of the light-strike vs. fired cartridge would be handy if possible.

As to the ammo above: If the ammo is all lead-free that this is happening to, it'd be nice to know how old the ammo is.

I wondered that as well but the Dr. shot 4 different types of ammo including lead at another range. As a test we tried 9mm from two different manufacturers. One of which was first run brass and loaded by Fiocchi. Same issues with the same guns. Also seemed weird where it would not fire through one gun with two tries but the same bullets fired fine through mine.

Also another new M&P firing the same ammo did not have one issue the whole class. I don't think it is the ammo.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    There is but one answer to this question since there are no variable left. Send any affected M&P's back to S&W to have them fix the issue. The handguns would likely be back in just a few days, and you should be good to go.

Problem solved.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I carry an M&P 9 and love it. Never had an issue with it. We sell a lot of the M&P 9 range kits for our defensive handgun courses and many people have bought them and shipped to us as an FFL.

There seems to be a recurring theme with the new M&P 9's. They are having a lot of light primer strikes. A DR. came in to shoot his. He had run 4 different brands of 9mm ammo through it over the last few weeks and continuously had light primer strikes. One day I went out on the range with him with my M&P 9. Exact same model only a few years older. The ones that would not fire through his even after a couple of tries fired fine through mine. Ok once in awhile a bad one gets through, striker issue. Send it back to S&W. Problem solved right.

Now in our all women's Intro to Level I class last week two more brand new M&P 9's had the same issue and I just learned of two more. Now another lady in the class had a brand new M&P 9 and did not have one issue with it. All shot the same brand of ammo from the same batch.

Anyone else here of this problem with the new M&P 9's lately? Like I said I love mine and have close to 2,000 rds through it without one issue.

Yep, I had an issue with light primer strikes with my M&P 9 FS and had to send the gun back to S&W.

I just got the pistol back. S&W replaced the striker assembly (and the barrel too, as I was having feeding problems).

See this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e_12_malfunctions_in_less_than_50_rounds.html

My M&P 9 was brand spanking new.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking that S&W may have produced a batch of M&P 9s with defective striker assemblies.

@ the OP I'm surprised my thread didn't show up in your search . . .

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Yep, I had an issue with light primer strikes with my M&P 9 FS and had to send the gun back to S&W.

I just got the pistol back. S&W replaced the striker assembly (and the barrel too, as I was having feeding problems).

See this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e_12_malfunctions_in_less_than_50_rounds.html

My M&P 9 was brand spanking new.

After reading this thread, I'm thinking that S&W may have produced a batch of M&P 9s with defective striker assemblies.

@ the OP I'm surprised my thread didn't show up in your search . . .

I searched but my search"fu" is lacking. LOLOLOLOL

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I stopped by Kodiak on my lunch hour and ran 100 rounds through my new M&P9 and only had 1 FTF...I put it back though and it did fire the second time. The ammo used was the frangable 9mm I bought from cheaper than dirt. Not exactly the highest grade ammo, but it's not something like Wolf. I will run my EDC ammo (Winchester RA9T) through it and I'm sure I'll have no issues. Gglass, I have faith now...the fingers are uncrossed and the new M&P9 will be going with the wife in Feb to the training class with no hesitations. I should have never doubted you sir!

On a side note, I really didn't hate the standard trigger out of the box, but am still looking forward to putting in the Apex hard sear that I ordered. It didn't feel too gritty as some have complained about in other threads.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I stopped by Kodiak on my lunch hour and ran 100 rounds through my new M&P9 and only had 1 FTF...I put it back though and it did fire the second time. The ammo used was the frangable 9mm I bought from cheaper than dirt. Not exactly the highest grade ammo, but it's not something like Wolf. I will run my EDC ammo (Winchester RA9T) through it and I'm sure I'll have no issues. Gglass, I have faith now...the fingers are uncrossed and the new M&P9 will be going with the wife in Feb to the training class with no hesitations. I should have never doubted you sir!

On a side note, I really didn't hate the standard trigger out of the box, but am still looking forward to putting in the Apex hard sear that I ordered. It didn't feel too gritty as some have complained about in other threads.

That's good to hear. I have not run any of the frangible ammo through any of my firearms, so I would not know what to expect.

The Apex trigger will make you think that you just bought a different gun... You'll be amazed. Almost all of the grittiness that people talk about actually disappears with usage as the parts work themselves together. I never wait for this process, and know exactly where to sand and polish to make the trigger slippery. Most folks don't really like shooting my personal M&P's because I get the triggers down to a hair's breath for a break point. I actually wound up putting two sear springs in my daily carry M&P40 Pro to bring the trigger back to a more realistic 3.5 pounds... Maybe a touch less. :D

BTW - How was your accuracy compared to your previous Taurus, and what was your overall impression of the M&P?

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I searched but my search"fu" is lacking. LOLOLOLOL

:D

Keep us updated. I haven't had the chance to test out the new striker/new barrel combo to see if my issues have been resolved. I'll post the results in that thread I referenced.

:ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wondered that as well but the Dr. shot 4 different types of ammo including lead at another range. As a test we tried 9mm from two different manufacturers. One of which was first run brass and loaded by Fiocchi. Same issues with the same guns. Also seemed weird where it would not fire through one gun with two tries but the same bullets fired fine through mine.

Also another new M&P firing the same ammo did not have one issue the whole class. I don't think it is the ammo.

Thanks for that additional info, Zimm. Always good to be able to cross things off the proverbial list.

-J-

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Like many others have stated;

Sticker Channel, this are lubricated from the factory so they should be cleaned before firing.

If it's happening across a bunch of these, contact S&W and inform them. Maybe a tool was out of spec or the matchbook leveling it was thrown away.

I make it a habit to scold my pistols once a week, it seems to work.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    After shooting my M&P for the first time, I do have to say I'm very impressed. I'm by no means an expert...far from it. I have had a Taurus 24/7 9mm since 2004 and have put thousands of rounds down range with it and am pretty accurate with it. I would have to say my accuracy was noticeably better with the M&P. It felt better in my hand than the 24/7 does and I'm glad I'm making the switch for my EDC to be the M&P. I didn't get to shoot my EDC rounds (Winchester RA9T) since frangible ammo is used to shoot steel indoors, but will give a heads up on how those work when I can get to Midwest to do so. Over all, I'm happy I've partaken of the M&P cool-aid. Pour me another glass please! :yesway: :rockwoot: :yesway:

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Here is the response from S&W:

Thank you for contacting Smith & Wesson. I am sorry to hear of the trouble you are having (or have witnessed) with M&P9’s. There is no recall on the M&P9 pistol, and I personally have not noticed a significant number of calls or e-mails describing that problem. I have heard that ammunition quality in general has decreased since 2008/2009. It is possible that you/your customers are experiencing hard/high primers (but I admit that doesn’t seem likely from your description of the situation). As you know, we do stand behind our products. Like all of our handguns, the M&P pistols have a lifetime warranty against defects in material or workmanship to the original owner. Any problem guns can be returned to us for repair under warranty. Thanks very much, and have a great day.

--Kenn
    Smith & Wesson, Thompson/Center, Walther Customer Service
    1-800-331-0852

Top Bottom