• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    There's always so much discussion around how to explain to someone why you support your right to own a firearm...

Or maybe you're just caught in a situation where someone asks why/what/how, etc.

Figured we could have a little fun with this thread yet also toss around some great analogies/best practices to use.
    One of the more popular ones; "If guns kill people, spoons make people fat".

One that I often use that generally really catches uneducated people off guard:
    "Do you own a fire extinguisher?......... And do you ever PLAN to use it?"
    -"Of course I don't PLAN to use it, it's there just in case something ev- ...Ohhh.
    "

:rockwoot:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Steal away; I encourage it.

Especially to beginners that choose to OC, Having a couple quick analogies for people that may approach you
    out of curiosity on why you carry (many I've discovered aren't against it; just curious/uneducated).

Just a thought.

A couple more that I thought of a while ago:

Psycho killer driving a car will run over you; Dead.
    Psycho killer holding a gun will kill you; Dead.

Responsible person in a car drives past you; Safe.
    Responsible person properly holstering a firearm walks past you; Safe.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I always just reply with, because I'm legally allowed. Why should I have to explain myself to someone? I do like the fire extinguisher though.

I completely respect your reasoning.

For myself, living in Indiana most of my life, and probably will for the remainder of it...
    I figure I have nothing to hide and all but a few seconds to educate someone that's curious.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm approached with attitude, I'll K.I.S.S. and carry on.
    I just have no problem and am really more than happy to educate others. It's their right too, after all. They just may not realize it.

Pitchfork

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    South Bend Area
    Cars are a great analogy for firearms.

When someone starts in on capacity for guns in general and how it should be restricted, I usually tell them that their car is factory capable of doing double most of the posted speed limits (felony) that they drive every day. They don't really like the idea of having their car's capability restricted and neither do I for either case.

Suppressors (aka Silencers) work like that, too. Would you want to drive a car without a muffler and have all that smoke and noise?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    "Guns don't kill people. Husbands who come home early kill people. The gun was just sitting there."

Larry the Cable Guy

Often at the shop someone will say to me sheepishly while perusing guns in the case, "I am really not into guns."

I always answer the same. "You know I am not really into fire extenguishers, I don't belong to the National Fire Extinguisher Association. I don't collect fire extenguishers from different eras and countries. I don't compete in tournaments with them or have them as wallpaper or screensavers on my phone or computer....But...I do have one in the basement and one upstairs."

Top Bottom