Potential Glock issue? "Shaving" came off while cleaning...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    First, I didn't use the search function because I knew there would not be any threads about a Glock having any sort of problem whatsoever. Ok just kidding, I searched.

Tonight while I was cleaning the G27 I noticed a piece of plastic "flapping" next to what I would describe as the right rear metal piece along which the slide slides. Right rear like you are holding the pistol as if to fire - right side, rear of the gun (i.e. closest to you). Hopefully my vivid imagery helps, apparently I cannot yet post pictures (or can't figure out how).

The piece of plastic fell off as I was poking it and asking it what the heck it was. It basically looks like a sliver of plastic that came from the base of the metal piece I described above. Again, I'm sure my vivid description is beyond helpful.

It doesn't appear to me that any problem would result as this particular piece seems not to be related to any moving part... it would be below the slide and the metal piece, but not involved in any mechanical way from what I can tell. My question is, is this something I should have checked out/be worried about? Naturally I was a little concerned when I noticed it, but I can't say whether it is a product of firing or if it may have just been a shaving or something that wasn't removed during production. I can't recall noticing anything unusual in my previous cleanings, so it is hard to say. I think I'll keep this one out of the rotation until I get some wisdom from INGO or Glock, so hopefully someone here has some knowledge to share.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    EJM874's Pictures

2011-11-15_18-48-40_800.jpg

2011-11-15_18-51-41_459.jpg

Last edited:

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    It is probably just a little piece of,"flashing", which is the excess plastic that is squeezed out of the mold when injection molding plastics such as the frame on a Glock pistol. This flashing is usually trimmed off by a production worker after the part is released from the mold using tools like straight edged razor blades or Exacto knives. Sometimes they miss a little bit. The slide mounts in your pistol are embedded in the frame during the molding process and unless a large chunk of plastic as cracked off I doubt there is anything to be concerned about. Pictures sure would help though and can be uploaded here by subscribing to a service such as Photo Bucket and uploading them there first and then transferring them to this site. :)

Link to photo-bucket: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    It is probably just a little piece of,"flashing", which is the excess plastic that is squeezed out of the mold when injection molding plastics such as the frame on a Glock pistol. This flashing is usually trimmed off by a production worker after the part is released from the mold using tools like straight edged razor blades or Exacto knives. Sometimes they miss a little bit. The slide mounts in your pistol are embedded in the frame during the molding process and unless a large chunk of plastic as cracked off I doubt there is anything to be concerned about. Pictures sure would help though and can be uploaded here by subscribing to a service such as Photo Bucket and uploading them there first and then transferring them to this site. :)

Link to photo-bucket: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Thanks! Your description sounds like that may be the case. Tried Photobucket but just got red x's? :dunno: Must not be my night.

Top Bottom