• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Madison Outdoors.

He has hundreds of lbs of powder and around 25,000 primers small rifle and pistol, large rife and pistol primers. You are limited to 1000 of each type of primer.

Pictures are just to give you an idea on the price of primers and powder.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    You know, I personally would pay that for primers if I needed it. $70,$80, or $90 is too steep for me but less than $60 is acceptable considering the times we are in. Good for him on resisting the temptation to jack up the price to $100 because he probably would get it too.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I agree I'm well stocked. I just wanted people to know this guy has them in stock. His powder looks to be about normal gun shop price. The primers are about $18 higher than I want to pay. Maybe if I need them it would still be cheaper to reload anything than buying it right now.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    LG Outdoors is selling primers online for $299.99 so Madison Outdoors is more than fair on their price of $60. Most places have raised primer prices a little to keep people from buying them all up. There are others like LG Outdoors etc. that are trying to fleece people. The going rate on Gunbroker is $240 + $20 shipping for 1000 primers. Unfortunately I am about 90 minute drive from Madison.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    LG Outdoors is selling primers online for $299.99 so Madison Outdoors is more than fair on their price of $60. Most places have raised primer prices a little to keep people from buying them all up. There are others like LG Outdoors etc. that are trying to fleece people. The going rate on Gunbroker is $240 + $20 shipping for 1000 primers. Unfortunately I am about 90 minute drive from Madison.
    Are they really selling for that though?

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle

Yep, I watch Gun Broker too just to get an idea of what the prices are doing and you regularly see multiple bidders on primers that are going for $200-$300 per 1000. The prices seemed to have dropped since right after Election Day but you can still easily find primers going for north of $200.

I don't look at places like LG Outdoors as price gouging unless they really bought the item for wholesale pre-2020 prices. When everyone on the Internet appears to be sold out, Gun Broker might be your only source for a steady supply of primers and I can then understand selling what you have for $300 per thousand. In fact, I don't blame retailers or gun show vendors for charging a higher price when selling ammunition/primers because what may look like price gouging could be the vendor actually making the same profit margins as before but having to pay more for replacement product.

I recently stumbled across Powder Valley's website when they had CCI primers in stock for less than $40 per thousand. I controlled myself and only bought one box but they sold out in minutes. Where did they all go? More than likely, most of it went to individuals, gun show vendors, gun shops who then placed the items on Gun Broker or Armslist and made a killing.

I work at Cabelas and I regularly see individuals or gun shop employees trying to buy up the ammo and primers we do have in order to instantly flip it. My personal opinion is that we should probably raise our prices a bit higher in order to discourage such behavior and leave it for for individuals who really want and need it for personal use. If we did that, then you would have people complaining of price gouging so I understand why our prices have remained low too.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    YES. I get outbid every day. There are 1000's of primers selling for outrageous prices on Gunbroker every couple of minutes. I gave up trying to bid for some on gunbroker. I have been just refreshing pages when I get time on Natchez and Bass pro but the bot programs buy them faster than I can. If you don't believe me here's some listings I had in my GunBroker watchlist and some of these went for over $300 for 1000 primers:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885446426
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/884602227
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/885177024
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883756014
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/883756011

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The cost of primers in reloading is relative to the caliber. If primers go from $30 to $60, the 9mm guys get hurt proportionally much more than a 6.5/308 guy. If I'm already spending 47 cents on powder & bullet, the difference between a 3 cent primer vs a 6 cent primer isn't a deal breaker.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Even at 6 cents a primer you can load 9mm for 25 cents a shot $12.50 per 50 rds still way cheaper than buying manufactured in stock online prices.

Top Bottom