Purchased my first gun. 92fs-a1 What to do??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THarris88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    Hi all, new member here! Just bought my first handgun and would like to know what people recommend.

The gun is brand new and still has the factory oil in it (purchased from a ftf, never registered, warranty never used).

1. I will want to purchase a cleaning agent and some good quality oil. Which ones are good but will not break the bank?

2. I will read the manual, and learn the in's and out's of the pistol before firing it.

Is there anything else that I am missing? Anything that a first time gun owner should know?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Welcome to INGO.

As far as gun oils go, that's like everything else in life, it is open to opinions.
    I personally use Shooter's Choice products, Break Free, and Hoppes.

Except for Shooter's Choice, the others can be found at Wal-Mart.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    OMG! Thank goodness you came here first! The first thing you want to do is box that bad boy up VERY CAREFULLY, then mail it to me immediately. I will do all that is necessary to make sure it doesn't become one of those....street guns we hear so much about. Now stop reading and get to packing.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    #1 : Learn how to handle it safely. Here is a place to start: Firearm Safety | 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling

Nothing else is as important as this.

#2 : Take an NRA (or similar) handgun course. There is no point in having a handgun if you don't know how to use it safely and effectively.

#3 : Join the NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation, or the Gun Owners of America (or more than one) to help protect your rights to keep and carry that gun.

#4 : Get your Indiana LTCH. Even if you don't think you want to carry your gun, you just never know. Since it currently takes several months to get one, waiting until you need it doesn't work.

#5 : Enjoy it and practice shooting it as often as you can.

#6 : Expect to be back here bragging about your next gun. As you'll notice, you can't stop at just one!!

Welcome!

THarris88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2013
    #1 : Learn how to handle it safely. Here is a place to start: Firearm Safety | 10 Rules of Safe Gun Handling

Nothing else is as important as this.

#2 : Take an NRA (or similar) handgun course. There is no point in having a handgun if you don't know how to use it safely and effectively.

#3 : Join the NRA, the Second Amendment Foundation, or the Gun Owners of America (or more than one) to help protect your rights to keep and carry that gun.

#4 : Get your Indiana LTCH. Even if you don't think you want to carry your gun, you just never know. Since it currently takes several months to get one, waiting until you need it doesn't work.

#5 : Enjoy it and practice shooting it as often as you can.

#6 : Expect to be back here bragging about your next gun. As you'll notice, you can't stop at just one!!

Welcome!

Nice 10 rules! And I do have my Indiana LTCH. Took me 8 months to get it too!

Thank You for your help. I will be looking into joining a club of some sort, probably the NRA.

What are the fees NRA associations charge?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Hi all, new member here! Just bought my first handgun and would like to know what people recommend.

The gun is brand new and still has the factory oil in it (purchased from a ftf, never registered, warranty never used).

1. I will want to purchase a cleaning agent and some good quality oil. Which ones are good but will not break the bank?

2. I will read the manual, and learn the in's and out's of the pistol before firing it.

Is there anything else that I am missing? Anything that a first time gun owner should know?

It's Indiana, no registration here

As for cleaning, you can save money by non babying it. Shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more. Run it dirty. For a lot of basic cleaning G96 does fine. For Lube, anything by Slip2000 is fine. For handguns, the EWL30 weight or even the EWG is fine and it's some slick stuff

Only thing I can remember pressing about the 92, is for once, it's like the movies. You can take the slide off with the gun pointed right at you, without taking it out of battery. So I don't know, fun fact, not sure if it's important.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Congrats! And welcome. When I'm teaching a Noob. I drill into them constantly, always treat any firearm as if it is loaded, even when it's not, and always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction, and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Finger on the trigger when you're not ready to shoot is referred to as coonfingering the gun by several of those on INGO. Enjoy your new firearm.

Last edited:

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Congrats! And welcome. When I'm teaching a Noob. I drill into them constantly, always treat any firearm as if it is loaded, even when it's not, and always keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction, and keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. Finger on the trigger when your not ready to shoot is referred to as coonfingering the gun by several of those on INGO. Enjoy your new firearm.

^^^THIS. Every time some goof ball accidentally shoots themselves or somebody else it reflects back on the rest of us.
    :welcome:

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Your first order of business is to go out and find some 9mm ammo or else you have a nice expensive paper weight!

I would suggest buying 3 boxes of cheap stuff and 1 box of some nice dependable expensive stuff. Keep back enough of the nice stuff to fill about three magazines, shoot up everything else while learning your gun. This will give you 200 rounds to break in with.

In addition to safety courses, joining the NRA, and getting your carry license... I would say you should also soak up everything you can on this site and enjoy being a gun owner.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head, only thing I would do is just pick up a few more magazines and a mag loader. Enjoy shooting your gun and I hope you get good with it really fast.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I want to stress safety also. I met a guy this weekend for an ammo sale and he showed me his left hand. His gun discharged when he was preparing to break it down. It went through his hand (the entrance wound was impressive but the exit wound was truly massive.) It was a 9mm Golden Saber. He was lucky 1) it didn't open up in his hand, 2)no one was standing in the line of fire and 3) he didn't hit his leg-hit the femoral artery and say good night, Dick.

Your gun is always loaded. Another critical thing to remember is that when you drop the magazine your gun IS NOT EMPTY. You still have one in the chamber.

Be safe and enjoy your new tool.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really wish I had taken a good handgun class when I bought my first one.

By the time I finally took my first class I had developed a pile of bad habits that I am still trying to overcome. Good training is a fantastic investment.

Congratulations on your purchase and take it seriously.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Nice to see another added to the Beretta family! :)

Before doing anything, make triple sure the gun is not loaded, then practice field stripping it until it becomes second nature.

When you've got that down pat, get some snap caps and practice dry-firing. Getting a good sight picture, working on your trigger pull and just getting comfortable handling the gun. Do all of this before you ever put a live round in it. You don't want to be unfamiliar with your weapon and be fumbling around with it your first time shooting it.

Also, be aware that the 92 will fire without a magazine inserted if there is a round in the chamber. Not all guns will do this but yours will. There is no magazine safety.

For all things Beretta firearm related I suggest checking out the Beretta Forum. Great bunch over there and a wealth of info.

That's all I can think of for now. Congrats on the new 92 and be safe out there!

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Yeah, buy some ammo! :ar15:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Congratulations! Remember safety first. Take a basic handgun safety course. Always follow the four basic rules which should be absorbed into your brain so that they become a natural reflex. Enjoy your new acquisition safely!

Top Bottom