• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Got finished mowing yesterday, stopped by the range to blow up some ammo on the way back to the barn. So while eating dinner it seems like my ears are ringing more than usual, I’m thinking it time to look into some more modern ears (hearing protection). Anyone got any ideas that won’t break the bank. I’m still using an old set of Knorth that I’ve used for quite a while now, they need to be stout I use them every day, they ride on the feed cart hanging on a hook, banged around. I definitely don’t want anything that plays music or that kind of stuff. Just good hearing protection. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and your consideration.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I like the electronic Peltors. Especially when shooting with other so I can hear and talk normal but have noise reduction when someone squeezes the boom-switch. If you're usually shooting alone on your back forty, maybe just shop for a headset with the highest NRR and comfortable enough to wear.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Looking at the link from DD’s post I am going with the suggestion of foam and cover with muffs. Brand is now the decision, please explain NRR. And thanks everybody, this will be done today. Should have done it sooner.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Got finished mowing yesterday, stopped by the range to blow up some ammo on the way back to the barn. So while eating dinner it seems like my ears are ringing more than usual, I’m thinking it time to look into some more modern ears (hearing protection). Anyone got any ideas that won’t break the bank. I’m still using an old set of Knorth that I’ve used for quite a while now, they need to be stout I use them every day, they ride on the feed cart hanging on a hook, banged around. I definitely don’t want anything that plays music or that kind of stuff. Just good hearing protection. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and your consideration.
    I've had several sets of Walker ear pro. Over the ears and 2 sets of in ear, behind the neck. Overall I've been disappointed in the life of them. First in ear set had Bluetooth so used then mowing as well. Sweat killed them in right after a year.

I then got a non Bluetooth set I'm currently using. It looks like the wires are pulling out of the electronics modules (poor strain relief). My iso tunes ear plugs I now use for mowing are much heavier duty.

I was really looking at the new axil in ear set this spring, but delayed past when they were on sale for half price:wallbash:
    Rick

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    There is an industrial size box of foams out in the small barn. Going to toss a handful in my kit/range bag, wife’s doing homework now when she’s done I’ll have decided on brand name. I’ll ask her to order them this evening. Big booms when young, lots of gun shots, chainsaws, and let’s not forget the 70’s n 80’s Molly Hatchet, Seager, Ozzy, ZZ, To name a few. Thanks to everyone for the time and trouble to answer.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I personally like my Peltors a little better than my Walkers. Seems a little more comfortable and slightly better protection.
    I would think 120$ peltors should be better than 50$ walkers. I will say the volume off/on on the walkers is nicer, and we do use the FRS radio attachments once in a while at work, they were kind of a bust at the range.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Looking at the link from DD’s post I am going with the suggestion of foam and cover with muffs. Brand is now the decision, please explain NRR. And thanks everybody, this will be done today. Should have done it sooner.
    I also use Walkers electronic muffs. I’ve been happy with them for the most part, but you have to get them adjusted just right or you won’t get a good seal.

It sounds like you have enough foam plugs sitting around that this probably won’t be an issue, but I’d recommend staying away from the mushroom shaped plugs. The first time I ruptured my eardrum it was because I had inserted one of those a little too far and pulling it out created enough suction to cause the rupture.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Were you wearing ear pro while mowing?

I ask because a lot of folks will wear ear pro when shooting but completely skip out on wearing it when doing loud activities like mowing the yard. If you keep them on your feed cart I'm guessing you also wear them while mowing but maybe not? Either way, adding that (or more protection if you are wearing a set of muffs) while mowing will help dampen the effects of shooting too.

The higher the NRR, the better, and as others have said, you can't go wrong with foam plugs (typically 28+ NRR, some are even 31, 32, 33) and electronic muffs over them. That will help dampen the noise but allow hearing normal conversations, a phone ringing, etc. One often overlooked part about having electronic ear pro is the safety aspect of still being able to hear range commands or people around you yelling for help, the wife calling, etc. We should all still be able to hear things while shooting or mowing the grass!

Electronic ears on the cheaper side tend to be on the lower end of the NRR spectrum. I personally don't touch anything under 21 NRR - which I've found to be "just OK" for outdoor shooting of .22s. I like to have at least a 23 or 24 NRR for centerfire rifles and I've found a 26 NRR (which was actually a cheapo pair from Walmart) to be pretty comfortable. If I'm shooting my big rifles for a long time (like taking a class) I'm plugs + muffs all day. Indoor ranges are 100% plugs + muffs for me.

The pros say get MSAs with compressive technology but who wants to spend $300 on ear pro? Rock the foamies for pennies! They're not too hot & sweaty, nor will they cause cheekweld issues on stocks, and they work the best. Add electronic muffs ($30) for safety and increased hearing when needed.

....but not matter what, wear something!!!!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I use ear pro when mowing, sharpening mower blades, other metal grinding, shooting, string trimming, chain saws, running heavy equipment, etc. I always took it seriously and have very good hearing at age 67. I have a 3.5 hour mowing job and the last few years I use radio "workphones" while mowing, keeping the volume only loud enough to hear the music.

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    There on the cart because I stop and shoot on my way back to the barn. Now that you mention it I’m gonna put the old ones on the mower. The new ones are in indi. now, as soon as they get done with there trip around the world I’ll put the new ones on the cart. Should be here tomorrow, should.

The hearing test lady says the range of hearing I’m defective in is the range that gunfire and chainsaws are in. But I can see the mowers being a problem also, the tractor with the road mower is really loud. I already started useing foams under the muffs I’m using till the new ones get here. Gona keep using foams regardless. Along with the new. Thank for the info.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The Walker's pick up all kinds of wind noise and are basically unusable for me on a blustery day.

Howard Leight Impact Sport are my go-to for several years now. They've held up well for all types of shooting and are pretty low profile, unlike the Walker's that make you look like you're landing jets on the deck of a carrier. They also fold up really small to save space in the range bag.

My only complaint on the Impact Sports is that it can take some minor adjustments when I first put them on to get them to fit right and get a good seal. They do sometimes lift off my ear slightly when I have a good cheek weld on my rifle stock, but that's not constant and can be mitigated by foam plugs underneath to keep any noise from sneaking in.

Top Bottom