• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Pauly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2018
    Dyer
    Hopefully this is the correct forum for this, if not I apologize and please move

I moved to Indiana a year ago from Illinois. I've had my carry permit in Illinois for years. Never considered I'd have an issue getting one here right? Wrong!

The question regarding mental health is so frustratingly vague. Basically I've had a diagnosis of depression for years. I have never had any tendencies to violence toward myself or others, with or without medication. I've never been anything less than a productive member of society

Problem is that my current doctor or my previous one will write me a letter stating that I am not a possible harm to myself or others. Not because of me, but both doctors said they won't write those kind of letters. My current doctor wrote a letter stating my diagnosis, my 1 medication and dosage and that I am doing well.

DENIED

Not good enough apparently. So I appealed and have a hearing on the 19th. My question is how do I prove my competency when I can't find a doctor willing to write a letter like that.

I have an inquiry into the firearm license unit also but figured people here might have come across this before. I am very discouraged and feel like I am being punished for being honest and seeking help for a mild case of a disease that is out of my control

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    So I appealed and have a hearing on the 19th. My question is how do I prove my competency when I can't find a doctor willing to write a letter like that.
    By hiring a lawyer who is familiar with the appeals process immediately! Guy Redford has been mentioned already.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Even if you have to pay it will absolutely be worth it if you plan on living in Indiana for a long time. Good luck getting a positive resolution!

rd-kmg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Monroe County
    I am an attorney and had this same issue. I got another attorney to handle my appeal. It's worth it; without a letter from a doctor saying you're not a danger, it's an automatic denial. The honest get punished. The ISP don't care that folks with mental health diagnoses are more likely to be victims of violence and need protection, or that the fact that you've voluntarily sought professional help or advice should be evidence in your favor rather than against, only about the optics if they "let one through."

1911Pauly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2018
    Dyer
    Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Guy and will probably hire him

Sucks to have to spend so much to obtain something I shouldn't even need a license for

Probably have to sell a few guns but if he can get it overturned I suppose it's worth it

1911Pauly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2018
    Dyer
    I am an attorney and had this same issue. I got another attorney to handle my appeal. It's worth it; without a letter from a doctor saying you're not a danger, it's an automatic denial. The honest get punished. The ISP don't care that folks with mental health diagnoses are more likely to be victims of violence and need protection, or that the fact that you've voluntarily sought professional help or advice should be evidence in your favor rather than against, only about the optics if they "let one through."

Well said. Good to know I'm not alone

Top Bottom