• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    I am considering purchasing my first M&P 9. I will want to install the Apex competition kit in it. Is there any advantage to purchasing the Pro model since I am going to modify it anyway? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I haven't been ordained as an M&P evangelist yet, but I believe the Pro series is more than just the upgraded trigger. It also has a longer barrel (and therefore sight radius) and a fiber-optic front sight.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    various models

The M&P pro series is coming different ways now. It still comes with the longer barrel and fiber optic sights or the standard full size with night sights and the words Pro Series engraved nicely on the slide.
    If you are going to change out parts anyway I would stick with the standard model.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    What Simon 6101 said.

I have changed all my Pro models to the Apex Sear and RAM. Although the Pro Series has a very nice trigger out of the box, it is still not quite as good as the Apex Sear enhanced trigger. Why then did I buy the Pros, only to upgrade them with Apex parts... Because I am a M&P snob, and I like the Pro designation on my M&P's. :D

Actually the Pro series models do go through the Performance Center division of S&W, and they do get a better final fit there. I can tell you that my M&P40 Pro Series is a bit more accurate than my older M&P40 with Apex parts. It is not just a placebo effect... There is a measurable difference in the group sizes between the guns. Is it enough of a difference to justify the price? That is up to the buyer/shooter.

Last edited:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I got the 5" Pro because I wanted the FO sights for USPSA.

The 5" L model plus sights was about the same as the Pro. Either way the Apex parts were going in it.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am considering purchasing my first M&P 9. I will want to install the Apex competition kit in it. Is there any advantage to purchasing the Pro model since I am going to modify it anyway? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance!

Not really. The Pro model has an upgraded sear, but the Apex sear that comes in the competition kit is superior to the pro sear.

The pro model does come with competition sights (fiber optic front, black rear), so if the sight configuration suits you, it might be worth it to go for the pro version.

Top Bottom