• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I picked up a new 10/22 carbine last week and just installed tech-sights on it last night. The front sight was in so tight I was forced to use a hacksaw to cut 90% of the way down the middle of the sight to get the darn thing out. After I removed it I noticed there was an un-blued strip along one of the edges inside the dovetail, and I'm wondering if it was actually stripped off by the front sight. This is my first rifle, so I don't know if they just don't 100% blue inside the dovetail or something. I find it amazing if I removed the finish by tapping the sight out.

I guess I'm wondering if I should pick up a re-bluing kit to touch it up or if it was made that way and I should leave it alone. The part is covered up by the new and much improved front sight, but I worry about rust if the finish was indeed removed.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    It is possible that the reason the front sight was so tight, that in fact there was bluing missing in the dovetail. I personally wouldn't worry about it, just install the new sight and enjoy the new set-up. You'll love the new sights!!!!

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Had a set of Tech-Sights put on my 10/22 Sporter last year, and love them. I also had problems getting the front sight off, so I took it to a gunsmith friend down the road. Turns out the front sight is held in place with silver solder. Even the gunsmith had a time getting the sight off.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Had a set of Tech-Sights put on my 10/22 Sporter last year, and love them. I also had problems getting the front sight off, so I took it to a gunsmith friend down the road. Turns out the front sight is held in place with silver solder. Even the gunsmith had a time getting the sight off.

Ah, so that's probably what the streak of un-blued metal is. I've searched high and low and not once have I heard this. I can rest assured that my steel shouldn't rust now. :)

Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom