• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    i looked at an Icon 705/718 not in my budget. yaesu FT-891 is looking at laptop/tablet winlink & APRS as backup(text/Email) communications via repeaters Family members in Florida get yaesu FT-65 to monitor and receive messages. using a timetable and code. is this viable?

indydave

Wirednot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Avon
    Are you talking for local stuff, or you in Indy talking with them in Florida? May need to consider repeaters being down in some situations, so HF “Plan B” might be in order.

-KI2K

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, forget repeaters in SHTF.
    The 891 is a solid, no nonsense rig. Paired with the right antenna you can reach out and touch someone.

indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    i am hoping for a while initially, enough repeaters will be up to get a simple code message or email down to them. IF its a total grid down (CME type event ) thats a whole diff ballgame.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    i am hoping for a while initially, enough repeaters will be up to get a simple code message or email down to them. IF its a total grid down (CME type event ) thats a whole diff ballgame.
    Speaking of, If you are concerned with that kind of thing, keep your rig stored in either an ammo can or a metal trash can with a tight fitting lid. Because if that happens, the rig sitting on your bench in the ham shack is toast.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Right now it’s not legal to send coded messages on the HAM bands. At least that’s my understanding. When SHTF there will be more important things than monitoring the air waves.

Top Bottom