• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    I pick up range brass and tumble to clean. I use corn cob media and some polish. Is ther something I can use to clean the tarnished cases. They work ok I just like the brass to look shiney and good. Thats just me though. Thanks for the time everyone.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I use brasso and tumble up to 24 hours and I get this...

daf92ec0.jpg

...and this...

d4354aa9.jpg

...but it's important to allow the ammonia to evaporate before throwing the brass in.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You can soak the brass in lemon juice and vinager ( I can't remember the ratio)
    search the web for brass cleaner. I've done it before and it works pretty good. Let it dry then tumble.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I use the corn cob media, and a little liquid brass polish. An leave it in over night an the next morning looks like brand new.

search the web for brass cleaner. I've done it before and it works pretty good. Let it dry then tumble.

Gotta mind the ammonia, guys... Ammonia makes the brass brittle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    It is nice to see guys that take pride in this, especially if they reload. Plus I find it is much easier for me to spot shiney new starline brass at the range compared to just 'brass' all over and I plan on keeping my brass polished once I start to reload to help make mine stand out from the crowd.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Stainless steel media tumbled with dish washing detergent & lemishine in a thumler's rock tumbler. Search online for stainless media tumbling to find out everything you need to know. Nothing gets brass cleaner or shinier. Only takes 4 hours and its quiet.

IMG_2348.jpg

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Do you guys deprime before tumbling or tumble with the spent primers in place?

Normally people do advise against decapping prior to tumbling, however, I personally do not understand how it can be a bad thing. In fact, the case with the primer intact tends to hold onto more tumbling medium than not.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Do you guys deprime before tumbling or tumble with the spent primers in place?

Normally people do advise against decapping prior to tumbling, however, I personally do not understand how it can be a bad thing. In fact, the case with the primer intact tends to hold onto more tumbling medium than not.

If you deprime before tumbling you take the chance of scratching the inside of your die, which then leaves a correponding scratch in your brass.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Gotta mind the ammonia, guys... Ammonia makes the brass brittle

I use the corn cob media, and a little liquid brass polish. An leave it in over night an the next morning looks like brand new.

While I've seen this discussed on numberous forums, I'd like to add that my cousin has been adding Brasso to his media for about 30 yrs and hasn't noticed a big increase in split necks from brittle brass.
    Also I'm not aware of ammonia being in lemon juice or vinager. The natural acid in these products will remove the tarnish but the brass will be dull and need tumbled.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    If you deprime before tumbling you take the chance of scratching the inside of your die, which then leaves a correponding scratch in your brass.

Unless you use a universal depriming die so you're not sizing at the same time.

I deprime first, then soak in diluted "The Works" toilet cleaner (about 1 part works for 4 parts water) for around an hour. Its hydrochloric acid and removes tarnish and seams to break down the powder residue. I tumble them after that in walnut shells with some Nu-finish.

Glock

Marksman
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Stainless steel media tumbled with dish washing detergent & lemishine in a thumler's rock tumbler. Search online for stainless media tumbling to find out everything you need to know. Nothing gets brass cleaner or shinier. Only takes 4 hours and its quiet.

IMG_2348.jpg

Thanks alot! I just ordered one.

Top Bottom