• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I decided to blow off some post Mother's Day steam, and start the week right with a trip to the range with my brand new Shield. Put 100 rounds through it, 99 of them cycled flawlessly. Had one FTE, on my 3rd mag. The trigger was crisp and predictable. You know exactly when this gun is gonna go off, and it actually caused me to jerk a few times in anticipation. A good tool will expose the bad habits, and that's definitely the case here. I shot low and to the right consistently at 10 yards. Grouping was good, better than I thought I would manage, being a bit rusty, and unfamiliar with the gun. (PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!)

For a non-ambi pistol it performed quite well in my left hand. I like to operate the slide release with my left thumb or index, and the mag release with my middle finger. The slide release could have a little easier to grab, but the safety and mag release positioned well and easy top operate. The thin grip felt great in my hands, very natural. Ergonomics were a solid 9.

My only gripe is that they ship with a 7 and an 8 round mag. I couldn't get comfortable with the gun when shooting both mags back to back, I couldn't figure out which one I liked more. Anyone in NWI wanna swap mags? :D

Overall, I'd give the gun a solid A, and consider it money well spent. Can't wait to get more rounds through it. In the meantime, I think I'll start looking at a full sized .22 to practice with, see if I can't straighten out that trigger technique. :dunno:

10 yard shots!

wrAdk.jpg

axOKW.jpg

0hiGN.jpg

e3psR.jpg

ixPsD.jpg

taslE.jpg

nVWrm.jpg

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I am considering making the switch from Glock 19/26 & Kahr CM9 to M&P 9c/Shield. Are mags or holsters readily available yet for the Shield in your experience? How was the recoil vs. other 9mm of it's size?

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I am considering making the switch from Glock 19/26 & Kahr CM9 to M&P 9c/Shield. Are mags or holsters readily available yet for the Shield in your experience? How was the recoil vs. other 9mm of it's size?

I had the G26 and a CM9 in my hands along with the Shield. The price point and ergonomics of the S&W won me over. I'd love to spend a few hours with all 3 models to get a real world feel for them.

I haven't seen many accesories in stock yet. Magazines are supposed to start hitting internet stores next week. Midway says stock will replenish 5/20. At $30 a pop, I'm not planning on buying many. I'd love to get a mag loader, 100 rounds left my thumbs chewed up.

Holsters should be more widely available. Crossbreed has them in several arrangements. I went cheap and bought a Galco leather IWB to carry. It works, but I long for something better.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I looking to get a CM9 due to size, how do you compare the CM9 vs the shield?. I carry a Glock 23 but looking for something smaller when clothing can't conceal the G23.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I looking to get a CM9 due to size, how do you compare the CM9 vs the shield?. I carry a Glock 23 but looking for something smaller when clothing can't conceal the G23.

The CM9 was as thin as the Shield, and almost 5/8 inch shorter. The height was about the same, both with flat and extended base plates. Should be noted that the Shield holds 1 more round than the CM9. The Kahr actually won in a few areas of criteria, (length, trigger feel, awesome sights) but the Shield felt more comfortable in my hand.

cluznar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    S&W Shield

Get yourself an UpLula Mag loader they are excellent!

Shield seems to be a winner. :ar15:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Shield looks like a nice small cc weapon, I'm not selling my G26 to get one though. It's a great cc piece. If I didn't have one then I may think about it. Get that baby broke in and have fun!

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I just ordered a stage 3 do-it-yourself IWB holster kit from old faithful holsters, I should get it later this week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I was looking at a DeSantis Intruder IWB, they go for around $30. The problem has been finding them for the Shield. Is that the advantage of a DIY kit?

One thing's for sure. This Galco IWB I bought is being relegated to use as a pocket holster for my cargo shorts. No sir, I don't like it.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Ya I have a Blackhawk #5 for IWB now and it wasn't cutting it. The Old Faithful Guys have the shield available but they wanted $72 for an assembled holster plus the shipping. So I ordered their DIY kit and spent $40 with shipping. I figured I can't mess it up too bad. And with the DIY kit you can order different kydex that is molded for other guns and you can swap them out of you please.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    Ya I have a Blackhawk #5 for IWB now and it wasn't cutting it. The Old Faithful Guys have the shield available but they wanted $72 for an assembled holster plus the shipping. So I ordered their DIY kit and spent $40 with shipping. I figured I can't mess it up too bad. And with the DIY kit you can order different kydex that is molded for other guns and you can swap them out of you please.

After my last post, I found their website. Dude! Major score! $40 is a great price for what they're offering. I'm pretty handy, this should be a piece of cake. I really like the part about interchangable kydex. I can even get pre-molded kydex for my Hi-Point C9 lol. I'm placing an order now.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    no intention of hijacking, but my Old Faithful kit holster is awesome. totally love it. i got the belt too.
    how did the shield specifically compare to the G26?

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    no intention of hijacking, but my Old Faithful kit holster is awesome. totally love it. i got the belt too.
    how did the shield specifically compare to the G26?

No worries, I'm always glad to hear a good review of something I just spent money on lol. :rockwoot:

Shield vs G26, is mainly a battle of dimensions. Of course the slide is a little thicker on the Glock, but the main tactile difference was way the gun felt in my hand. The Shield was flatter and leaner, with less contours to get in the way. The G26 was more rounded, and filled the hand nicely, but it wanted to be held in a certain way. Both felt good with the extended floor plates, but with the flush fit mags, the Shield felt better in my hand.

Trigger action was good for both guns. The Shield got to the point a little quicker, but broke a little harder. The Glock creeps smoothly and then clicks off. I haven't shot a G26 in a long time, so I can't say how they differ in action.

If I make it to the NWI GTG this weekend, I'll try to do some comparative narratives. :D

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    My crossbreed mini was shipped Wednesday from my shield. Hopefully I will have a present waiting for me when I get home.

Top Bottom