• ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Having FTF issues on a p14.
    Rounds are jamming up against the barrel hood.
    Planning on replacing the mag springs, but I was wondering if a weak recoil spring could be adding to the issue.
    What weight# spring is suggested?...there are so many to choose from.
    Probally be shooting the standard 230HB through this.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Start with the mag spring.

Change one thing at a time! if you change more than one thing, you'll not know which may have been the culprit and which didn't help.

Is this an issue on feeding or extracting? Or can you tell?

Also, how are the feed lips on the mags?

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    P14 runs an 18lb spring if I recall correctly.

Para's can be "FUN" to troubleshoot, some run great and some are train wrecks! So additional info will probably help.

Has it just started doing this, or new gun to you?
    Does it do this with all your magazines? (BTW Mags are a good place to start with Para issues)
    Does it do this with fully loaded or partially loaded Mags, and with which bullet in the magazine (First, Last, Random, All etc)?
    Tried different Ammo?
    Any Mods?

There are some smart folks here who should be able to get it up and running for you with the right info!

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wolffe has power packs have an assortment of spring weights that might be an option. I'd do the mag first unless you've ruled that out already. Get some new mags and spring kits for those if you haven't. There are ways to test your current spring weight/strength and spares, you can buy one or build one like here: HOME MADE RECOIL SPRING TESTER - Calguns.net

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    1996 gun, new to me.
    It has to be a feeding issue, since the bullet is still in the jammed up round, so...Jams on feeding, seems random after round 6
    Feed lips "look" ok on all mags, but I am no expert.
    I am using cheap 230HB ammo, and have not tried another type.
    3 types of mags: Para, and 2 different types of Mec-Gar mags.
    The Mec-Gars have never been used, but are 5 years old.
    Don't know if this is a power extractor model or not, how to tell?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The power extractor has a wider "hook" and if you take it out to clean it, you will see that it is two pieces with a spring loaded pivot in the middle.

A 16 lb spring is standard for regular ball ammo. A 17 or 18 will usually work also. If you are getting a short stroke malfunction, drop the recoil spring down a couple lbs.

I have two paras that run perfectly with factory mags. I have never had 100% reliability with any aftermarket magazine. Mine feed cheap and premium ball ammo, 200 gr swc target loads and almost any hollow points I have ever tried. I would try looking at the magazine first.

Also make sure the ejector tip (the part anchored to the frame) is not worn rounded. If the ejector is not positively kicking the left side of the spent case, it will interfere with the timing of loading the next round. It should be nearly sharp to the touch . I have successfully touched mine up with a jewelers file. Just do not take much off, or you will make more problems. Good Luck

Last edited:

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Your "new to you" may have seen significant use; no way to know the pistol's round count. Be prepared to systematically swap out ALL springs. To check the large recoil spring, look to see where the ejected rounds land. If they land pretty close together about 6 feet to your right, the recoil spring should be good for now. If the brass is widely scattered way the hell and gone, replace the recoil spring now, because the spring is weak enough to allow battering of the frame. If the rounds land right at your feet, you might consider swapping for a slightly lighter spring. For optimum results, find the round you want to standardize as your carry load, then follow the suggestions above. Remember, it is possible to put a recoil spring in backwards. Since your pistol is jamming with both new and old mags, that would not be the place I would look first. Eventually when you get all your springs replaced you will know whether it needs professional help. My Wilson is picky; definately it likes certain brands of good ammo, and chokes on some bargain stuff.

Top Bottom