• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So looking to pickup my first RDS for a HK VP9L and never used or had one before. Probably gonna go with a venom from AAoptics and not sure on 3 or 6 moa? It’s a range gun, so I’m thinking 3moa? I don’t plan to ever carry it but maybe use it in a match if I get into some next spring.

Just wanna order the right stuff I know I need the correct mounting plate for the HK.

Thanks guys!

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

From the NRA:

Sig Sauer's take:

You've said mostly range use, so I would say 3 MOA, but it may take you longer to adjust to using it.

Larger dots do make target acquisition faster. Some steel challenge shooters use 12 and 16 MOA dots.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville

From the NRA:

Sig Sauer's take:

You've said mostly range use, so I would say 3 MOA, but it may take you longer to adjust to using it.

Larger dots do make target acquisition faster. Some steel challenge shooters use 12 and 16 MOA dots.

Thanks man! I’m gonna go 6moa and if I really like it I’ll transfer it to maybe my scorpion and go 3moa next! Thanks for the video.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I started with a 3 MOA Venom on my Mark IV 22/45 for rimfire falling steel. I have switched it to a 6 MOA Venom. It is easier to acquire and I don't see a noticeable difference in accuracy. It really depends on your end use, but my 53 yr. old eyes like the 6 MOA dot much better.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I started using a red dot on a pistol back in 1995. At first it was on my bullseye pistols. I also shoot in a local indoor unofficial PPC league and I alternate between guns with red dot then iron sights. I also have pistols and rifles set up for steel challenge too.

My findings are similar to what was mentioned by others above. For bullseye, I like 3 to 4 moa dots. For speed events; steel, fast action drills, etxc, I like larger dots. I have used up to 16 moa dots for steel. They work great for fast target aquisition.

A 6 moa dot would most likely be best for your uses. You could take that gun out and do well in steel challenge. In fact, I would suggest checking out a SC match. Lots of fun and a good match for a beginner to competitions.

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    If you’re going to use it for strictly range use, I’d probably go 3 moa. I have a couple Holosun 2 moa dots, but just recently got a 407k with 6 moa dot and initially thought I wasn’t going to like it (too big) but for a carry pistol I actually think it is perfect. I haven’t noticed a noticeable difference in accuracy vs a 2 moa dot either. Especially at the ranges a carry pistol would likely be used. I’d almost argue I shoot better with the larger dot.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Smallest dot possible IMHO, that being said putting a Venom on a H&K should be a crime. Go rack the gun off the optic a few times and let us know if it survives

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I bought a 3 MOA Holosun 407 for a 7.5" AR Pistol and like it after getting a tall enough riser for it. With a barrel that short and an arm brace it's not going to be a long-range firearm, and its compact size suits its application well. When bore sighting it down a 50 foot hallway (almost the length of my home), I discovered the apparent size of the dot increases some as the brightness of the dot is increased beyond that necessary for ambient light. Same with the Sig Romeo7 I have on a longer barrel firearm.

John

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    I started using a red dot on a pistol back in 1995. At first it was on my bullseye pistols. I also shoot in a local indoor unofficial PPC league and I alternate between guns with red dot then iron sights. I also have pistols and rifles set up for steel challenge too.

My findings are similar to what was mentioned by others above. For bullseye, I like 3 to 4 moa dots. For speed events; steel, fast action drills, etxc, I like larger dots. I have used up to 16 moa dots for steel. They work great for fast target aquisition.

A 6 moa dot would most likely be best for your uses. You could take that gun out and do well in steel challenge. In fact, I would suggest checking out a SC match. Lots of fun and a good match for a beginner to competitions.
    Any idea where to look for those matches?

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Is venom a bad optic? I thought vortex was a decent brand?
    Vortex is a good brand. I have lots of their stuff. But they have several lines of optics. Depending on the use, I usually don’t recommend less than their PST line. Just bc it has vortex on the side doesn’t mean it’s Razor quality and durability. Several lines are made in China. Again, I am a vortex fan, but I do always wonder in the back of my head why there are so many refurb Vortex’s out there.

BrassBandit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Brownsburg
    Granted this isn’t the Venom, it’s the Viper. Just posting to pass along info. Other red dots have held up much better, but I wouldn’t say this one did terrible considering concrete drops and several slide manipulations.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Any idea where to look for those matches?
    I have several (at least 6) within 90 miles from me. Look in this forum under Shooting Sports. Many are listed, but several may not be. You may need to search online for clubss near you.

Atlanta Conservation Club may not be real far from you. They have a lot of good matches, from what I can see, but I have never been there.

Check out the Steel Challenge website:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i started shooting a dot back in '95 on a 1911 45acp for USPSA open. still have that same dot on the gun. 4 years ago i started shooting steel challenge and rimfire challenge, both new guns got a TRUGLO dot put on them. i mainly used the 3MOA/30MOA circle reticle. last year i switched over to Cmore dots on both guns. i use a 16MOA module for steel challenge and rimfire challenge and sometimes switch to an 8MOA for rimfire falling steel.
    as whip mentioned theres several clubs that shoot steel in the northern 1/2 of the state. this weekend theres a steel plate rack match in bristol, steel challenge in warsaw, on saturday and rimfire falling steel in brookston on sunday. for me, those are about my travel limits, i'm in NWI (rt30/i65 area)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Is venom a bad optic? I thought vortex was a decent brand?

Vortex is a decent brand yes 100% , but their pistol RDS options are subpar IMHO. Seriously the Venom looks like an airsoft toy look at how thin the shroud is around the glass. Unless it's on a .22lr, I legitimately make fun of people who go this route. Plus the venom footprint is unique if I am not mistaken , so when you realize how ****** it is compared to your nice German wonder pistol it will cost you another $100+ to get a new plate that a decent optic will mount to.

Rant about cheap pistol optics over, nothing personal was intended at all just very strong feelings on this one.

MsEGxhO.jpg

Because I practice with what I preach, only reason my Staccato P does not have a 507c or RMR is I wanted it to be USMSSOG correct. Next optic I am seriously looking at is the ACRO P-2 or the Holosun closed emitter units.

FAS6KlD.jpg

Red dot all the handguns

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Vortex is a decent brand yes 100% , but their pistol RDS options are subpar IMHO. Seriously the Venom looks like an airsoft toy look at how thin the shroud is around the glass. Unless it's on a .22lr, I legitimately make fun of people who go this route. Plus the venom footprint is unique if I am not mistaken , so when you realize how ****** it is compared to your nice German wonder pistol it will cost you another $100+ to get a new plate that a decent optic will mount to.

Rant about cheap pistol optics over, nothing personal was intended at all just very strong feelings on this one.

MsEGxhO.jpg

Because I practice with what I preach, only reason my Staccato P does not have a 507c or RMR is I wanted it to be USMSSOG correct. Next optic I am seriously looking at is the ACRO P-2 or the Holosun closed emitter units.

FAS6KlD.jpg

Red dot all the handguns
    Thanks for the info man. Plate was only 45$ from HK. So if I end of liking this combo and a MRDS on a pistol I also have a aimpoint plate it came with and will invest in a better optic.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    6MOA picked up faster for me. I traded my 3MOA for 6.

I really really like the Holosun 32MOA circle dot for fast acquisition, but I honestly don't have enough trigger time on it to recommend for shooting or carry.

Top Bottom