• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked up this 1911 that was needing some TLC, a 1918 version that somehow slipped out without the USP mark. I checked closely thinking it had been ground off, a common practice, but after micrometer measurement of the metal and a close examination I don't think it was ever applied even though it has a military serial number. At some point after, it gets a nickel plating, and perhaps later yet some replacement parts post plating job. Early plastic grips from the late 50s or early 60s were attached and shrank down against the screw studs as was common with this plastic also known as "the incredible shrinking grips" in Colt collector circles. I had a set of old stag 1911 grips, no idea how old but they look weathered and a Heiser 225 shoulder holster which could be from 1919 to 1955. Putting everything back together it makes a nice package, maybe something a PI might have carried in the 30s.:)

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    This is even more evidence that Leadeye is a reincarnated gunfighter that was killed in the 1920’s!

The way the story goes Leadeye shot a man in 1896 after that guy got out of the pen he hunted Leadeye down and killed him.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Echoing what everyone else has said, but running out of ways to say it... Good Lord that's a beauty! Tell me you've shot it. Wow, what a piece, I love it!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Echoing what everyone else has said, but running out of ways to say it... Good Lord that's a beauty! Tell me you've shot it. Wow, what a piece, I love it!

Thanks! Shoots with no stoppages using 230 grain cast lead bullets. Trigger pull leaves something to be desired, but it's a WW1 gun so it's to be expected.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Many 1911's were refurbished during or after WWII so slides and or frames or arsenal refurbished .45's could be marked in many a ways.
    Nice pistol you have there.
    I have one (My Dads) and I had it re-blued as I am keeping it, he got it in 1966 delivered by the post office for $25.
    Those days are long gone, he ordered it from an add in a magazine.
    I should know, I was the one answered the door when the postman rang the bell, at our home in Detroit.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Thanks! Shoots with no stoppages using 230 grain cast lead bullets. Trigger pull leaves something to be desired, but it's a WW1 gun so it's to be expected.
    Fantastic! Love hearing this. While it's not in the same ballpark at all, my Uncle gifted me a Norinco 9mm bring-back from his tours in Vietnam. It won't be shot often, but after a thorough cleaning and function test on the laser target, we did fire it together once with my son. He had *never* fired it after bringing it back, and I wanted to shoot it with him at least once. It ain't pretty, but because of what it is, and how it came to be in my Uncle's possession, I'll never part with it.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Picked up this 1911 that was needing some TLC,.....
    .....I had a set of old stag 1911 grips, no idea how old but they look weathered :)

And here we have the measure of a true 1911 man. Adopts old pistols out of habit and has a parts drawer that 'just happens' to have $500 pair of grips in it.
    Bravo.
    Great gun. Good times.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Looked at your pistol again and it dawned on me that I failed to post anything the first time. Excellent pistol, well done. Like others have said, those grips are just perfect for it.

Top Bottom