• ...and so much more!
  • NotAnthony

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2023
    North Vernon
    I’m new to reloading and currently only reload the 30-06. I also have a 35 whelen that’s just my favorite rifle due to the age and nostalgia. I’m wondering what has to be done to use my 30-06 brass for 35 whelen??

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    They can be cut and sized, but it's a multiple stage process. I usually don't recommend buying some once fired brass online - gunbroker, armslist, etc, but this is a rare case that I do. It's going to be pricey, actually quite pricy, but it'll give you a better starting point. Only my opinion.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I have made several hundred 35 Whelen cases from annealed GI 30-06 cases. This is one of the reasons this case was used in the first place.
    1st - Use Imperial Sizing Wax inside neck, run case over expanding ball in 8x57 die.
    2nd - Anneal cases, (this step may or may not be needed)
    3rd - Use Imperial Wax inside and outside of case. Run through 35 Whelen die.
    4th - Trim to length if needed, clean inside and out, load case. With care (annealing) I have gotten 5 reloads easily with these cases. GI 30-06 cases are very common so I have always stopped at 5 loadings.
    For 30 + years the Whelen has been my favorite cartridge. The history and remarkable Men that have used it are appealing to me also.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Can anyone armchair the difference for me between the .35 Whelen and the .35 Remington?
    The 35 Whelen is a a lot more powerful than the 35 Remington. It's a little longer COL IIRC it's around 3" where the 35 Remington is around 2.5"

The Whelen can take out anything in North America and many animals in Africa as well.

35 Remington has about 1450 ft lbs of energy with a 220gr bullet.

35 Whelen has about 2900 ft lbs of energy with a 250gr bullet.

This is all dependent on powder, bullet weight, and barrel length.

Whelen is by far the superior round if you are looking for power.
    CVA makes a 25" barrel Scout in 35 Whelen.
    1692678439906.png
    1692677921769.png

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The .35 Remington is a polite deer round.
    The .35 Whelen IMHO is for longer D and bigger critters.
    Buddy had a 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. Stock maybe made out of balsa LOL.....it was a light rifle.

250s maxd out were not bad recoil wise, big shove and significant muzzle rise. Still comfy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    IMHO....

Explicit headstamp is kinda nice.
    Modified items might be a pain for those handling your estate.

Better to get factory brass for whatever you choose- 100 or 200 cases......no hassle now or later.

Last edited:

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I too am a fan of the 35 Whelen. Converting new unfired 30-06 brass to 35 meant simply running the expander ball through the neck and load. The cases tend to shorten when going up in caliber but may need squared up. I did have a 35 Whelen improved that caused some headaches but that was due to headspace issues remedied by having the barrel set back. I would also suggest finding a single load that does what you want and sticking with it. Pretty much a nothing fancy caliber plain LRP, medium burn rate powder and heavy bullet. Is your rifle factory chambered or from the wildcat era?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    They can be cut and sized, but it's a multiple stage process. I usually don't recommend buying some once fired brass online - gunbroker, armslist, etc, but this is a rare case that I do. It's going to be pricey, actually quite pricy, but it'll give you a better starting point. Only my opinion.
    I know a guy who has a mess of 30-06 brass laying around his shop....

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    IMHO....

Explicit headstamp is kinda nice.
    Modified items might be a pain for those handling your estate.

Better to get factory brass for whatever you choose- 100 or 200 cases......no hassle now or later.
    I agree 100%, especially since the OP has a 30-06.

Best case scenario you try to chamber a 35 Whelen in a 30-06 chamber. Worse case, you load a 30-06 in a 35 Whelen chamber. It may chamber and fire but it's not using your rifle as designed and may cause you some problems.

Another option would be to use 270 Win brass instead of 30-06.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rifles, scopes..........different bullets.
    The cost of specific brass doesn't seem like a very big expense in context.
    But some folks like to mess with things, and that is fine.
    Im old and cranky and don't like hassle.

Top Bottom