• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    As I set in front of my Dillon 550 tonight, reloading some .357 Magnum, I couldn't help but think about our current ammo/reloading component situation.

Having been a reloader for 30 years, I am always on the lookout for deals, and I have found many, over the years.

So, I ran the numbers on my reloads, when I got back to my recliner, tonight.

I was loading new, Starline brass that I have just over .02 cents a piece in. The primers that I was using, CCI SPP, I paid $14/ 1k for. The 158 grain cast bullets, I cast myself from free wheel weights and Linotype. The powder was free, from a family member's estate.

So, I loaded four boxes of .357 Magnum for $1.85 a box.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    That's great. I just loaded .357 mag, for $13.70 per hundred. That covers the lead bullets, primers and powder. Have had the brass for 20+years so I didn't count that cost.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Man, that's about as skinny as it gets.

Reloading 45 Colt represents a big bang for your buck (pardon the pun) when compared to the cost of factory ammo. Pre pandemic, I could buy off the shelf components and assemble 50 rounds for right around $10. That stuff was typically $30-$40 or higher per box of 50 at a lot of gun shops.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Just getting into reloading and realized how late to the game I am. Costs will be approx the same as what new ammo was costing prior to the pandemic

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Just getting into reloading and realized how late to the game I am. Costs will be approx the same as what new ammo was costing prior to the pandemic
    Yep with primer and powder prices today, bullet prices have gone up too, there wont be no 5 dollar a box 9mm reloads anymore heck even brass is doubling in price on used brass!

Top Bottom