• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    was wondering if any1 has done this before and can I use the powder I have to do this. IMR 4895,4064,4320. If so does any1 have any data on this. Or do I have to go out and hunt for some more powder.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Plastic sabots at rifle pressures and speeds are a whole boat load of fail looking for a place to happen since the plastic will melt, adhere to the bore, and eventually cause unsafe pressure spikes. Get you a couple of manuals, read up, and stay within published data using the appropriate components, sabots were designed for the slow speeds of black powder muzzle loaders and shotguns.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Check out Eabco. They sell the sabots and provide load data as well. I believe you start with a 10% reduced powder charge. I had an old 30-06 of my grandfather's that actually shot the Remington factory load with enough accuracy to smoke groundhogs at 250+ yards. There is a gunshop in Martinsville that sells their home rolled loads. Just be forewarned, their load is on the hot side and the first one I tried in my 308 locked the action up. I had to use a cleaning rod and a mallet to get the action open and the casing out.

Top Bottom