• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Someone, sorry I can not remember who recommended using a web cam when charging your reloads. I bought a cheap web cam to try it out. I was having to sit my scale on top of books just to be able to read it without straining my back. Also, it was hard on my eyes after a while. Wish I would have gotten one for the get go. I'm also going to buy a better web cam. Even after adjusting it the picture is so so.

003-36.jpg

002-44.jpg

001-58.jpg

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    One with either a macro or a zoom would work. If you can find them, the Intel Play QX3 would be great! It's a digital microscope made for kids, but could be easily adapted for your purpose as it has a 10x zoom and is designed to sit fairly close to the target.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Entertainment-Digital-Blue-Microscope/dp/B000059TF3[/ame]

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Does that mean that you can only reload when your ISP is up? I don't seem to have any issues with dispensing powder accurately. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    Not trying to be a jerk or anything......... But you would be better off spending your money on a better quality scale instead of a web cam! LEE scales are far from the most precision piece of equipment available.
    ..:twocents:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This has got to be one of the weirdest things I've ever read about reloading, and one of the oddest "fixes" I think I've ever run across.
    I use a beam scale...on top of a Black & Decker Workmate bench...which is in pretty low position in proximity to where/how I'm sitting. I've never had a problem reading anything on it...

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    HOWEVER... You may have just hit the next million dollar idea for reloading junkies.
    "Hey guys...wanna see my webcam? Subscribe for a low fee and get TOTAL access to see lots of charging fun! Tip my scales with any major credit card..."

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Not trying to be a jerk or anything......... But you would be better off spending your money on a better quality scale instead of a web cam! LEE scales are far from the most precision piece of equipment available.
    ..:twocents:

I agree that a better (digital) scale would be a wise investment...

however, the webcam is mainly to help with the ergonomics of one's respective situation.

It can put the scale read-out in a much easier location in order for your eyes to see it...so you're not constantly bending down to read the scale, or leaning way over to read the scale...etc.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I agree that a better (digital) scale would be a wise investment...

however, the webcam is mainly to help with the ergonomics of one's respective situation.

It can put the scale read-out in a much easier location in order for your eyes to see it...so you're not constantly bending down to read the scale, or leaning way over to read the scale...etc.

-J-

Actually, it makes me wonder why the scale manufacturers haven't come up with a USB model for their digital scales yet that can interface with a computer. Or at least one with an easier-to-read display.

Hmm... I think it's time to break out the Arduino board and a soldering iron. I just had a great idea... :D

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    How often is the drop being checked to need a web cam? I check my powder drops 1st thing before I start and then about every 25 - 50 rounds I'll check and they have always been spot-on.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im probably the one who recomended it. i recomend it pretty often. basically what it does is

zoom in on your scale readout makinf fine trickles easier,

the way my bench is set up it saves me leaning down easing some backache

if you notice on your beam scale your readout looks diffrent depending on exactly where your head is. the webcam is in the same spot all the time so that is a mute issue.

its probably not a good idea for the bulk reloader but for the precission minded reloader i think you will love it.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    As Scutter01 mentioned, surely someone has a scale with either an external LCD/LED display, and/or a VGA/computer output... shouldn't be hard at all to do.... I mean a 2 or 3" tall monochrome LCD display is not expensive... I would think that 4 digits would be more than enough? :dunno: But this is where my lack of experience/knowledge of reloading is evident. even if you needed 6 digits, I wouldn't think an External LCD option would be all that expensive...

just my :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For me it's about comfort. My scale sits low on the table wich means strain on my back. Or, sit it on top of a bunch of books. After a while it strains my eyes as well. I weigh every charge as I trickle all of my chages.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    That's where I can see using one. Someone with poor eye sight or problems with body parts.

Plus if you're a benchrest shooter this might come in handy, but then benchrest shooters probably use high end scales to begin with.
    Heck I've got 4 different scales. My go to beam scale is an Ohaus, probably 30 yrs old but dead on, then my Lyman DPS3.

My Ohaus is easy to read, but my eyesights not bad yet. Plus if needed I set it on my shelf right behind the reloader, where it's right in line with my sight.

Top Bottom