• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I’ve got a Rem700 G2 in 308 that isn’t feeding well. It originally came with the factory bottom metal with an internal box magazine. Even then it did not feed well and was hit or miss.

So I decided to do a DIY inletting job on it. I know I know… Im one of those guys. I used a drill press and a 3/8 end mill. I fitted in a Bergara HMR factory bottom metal that takes detachable AICS box mags.

I got the inlet done and the box mag fit into the inlet job pretty well. Bolted the HMR bottom metal in just fine with no issues and everything looked good.

Began to test feed rounds into the gun and began to have bolt over ride issues. These mags work just fine in a different AICS gun I have so I’m not sure what’s causing this.

I took the action apart and removed approx 1/16” off the rear action pillar to try and put the rear of the mag up a little higher to get better contact between the bolt and loaded rounds. Still didn’t appear to help much.

This photo is of the magazine inserted and hanging under loaded weighted. Most rounds get good contact but after 3-4 rounds the override issues come up again.
    The second photo is with the magazine full inserted and held in the up most position.

Like mentioned I’m kind of lost at this point. In my other Bergara action these mags feed just fine. But now they are having over ride issues so I’m not if it’s my inlet job, the action itself, or the mags.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• D3DB7AF2-241A-4AF1-AF88-01EAB269B217.jpeg
      D3DB7AF2-241A-4AF1-AF88-01EAB269B217.jpeg
      337.9 KB · Views: 14
    • 4C5E05AE-344A-4397-B05F-DB0583FA5BFA.jpeg
      4C5E05AE-344A-4397-B05F-DB0583FA5BFA.jpeg
      462.3 KB · Views: 14
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Looks like a recurring issue with these rifles. Googled it, lots of issues with feeding, some say they have different fixes. You may want to check them out. Good luck, hopefully it's a easy fix.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    By the pictures, it does look like that magazine need to go up about 1/8inch. Any way to adjust the magazine catch?
    That’s a negative. MPA makes an adjustable magazine catch that I believe might work. But their website says it fits their chassis. I emailed them about compatibility with Bergara bottom metals but haven’t heard back yet.

I may have to mull the rear pillar down further and shorten the rear action screw to make up the difference.

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Well, it appears that Remington is aware of the issue but, doesn’t seem to want to address it. Damn shame, I remember when a Remington 700 was cream of the crop. A man should not have to go to the extent of what you are having to do just to get it to feed ammunition.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    It's a little late now, but I would have sent it back to Remington to fix the feeding issues before I started messing with it. You may be compounding the original feeding issues with new issues related to the Bergara bottom metal and/or the inlet not being quite right.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    It's a little late now, but I would have sent it back to Remington to fix the feeding issues before I started messing with it. You may be compounding the original feeding issues with new issues related to the Bergara bottom metal and/or the inlet not being quite right.

Bergara bottom metal isn’t the issue I don’t think. It runs just fine in my other stock I have one setup in. I honestly think this is an inletting issue.

I posted the same post on snipershide and I think I’ve diagnosed it to inlet depth. I’m gonna take another 60/1000th off to bring the metal up a little more and see how it runs.

I’ve gotten ahold of a real gunsmith and as soon as I fix the inlet depth I’m going to have everything bedded

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I’ve got a Rem700 G2 in 308 that isn’t feeding well. It originally came with the factory bottom metal with an internal box magazine. Even then it did not feed well and was hit or miss.

So I decided to do a DIY inletting job on it. I know I know… Im one of those guys. I used a drill press and a 3/8 end mill. I fitted in a Bergara HMR factory bottom metal that takes detachable AICS box mags.

I got the inlet done and the box mag fit into the inlet job pretty well. Bolted the HMR bottom metal in just fine with no issues and everything looked good.

Began to test feed rounds into the gun and began to have bolt over ride issues. These mags work just fine in a different AICS gun I have so I’m not sure what’s causing this.

I took the action apart and removed approx 1/16” off the rear action pillar to try and put the rear of the mag up a little higher to get better contact between the bolt and loaded rounds. Still didn’t appear to help much.

This photo is of the magazine inserted and hanging under loaded weighted. Most rounds get good contact but after 3-4 rounds the override issues come up again.
    The second photo is with the magazine full inserted and held in the up most position.

Like mentioned I’m kind of lost at this point. In my other Bergara action these mags feed just fine. But now they are having over ride issues so I’m not if it’s my inlet job, the action itself, or the mags.

Any help is appreciated.
    I had similar problems with mine. Shipped it back multiple times to Remington, and they still didn't fix it properly. I got rid of it and haven't bought a Remington since. Hopefully their quality control and customer service is better now.

This was many years before the buy out. Hopefully they bring back the reliability and accuracy that the older 700's have.

SpinDrift762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 4, 2022
    Brownsburg
    I had similar problems with mine. Shipped it back multiple times to Remington, and they still didn't fix it properly. I got rid of it and haven't bought a Remington since. Hopefully their quality control and customer service is better now.

This was many years before the buy out. Hopefully they bring back the reliability and accuracy that the older 700's have.
    I’ll drink to that. My Remington 700 is so old is has iron sight holes drilled in the left side of the receiver, and the safety locks up the bolt’s travel. The good old days

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well I had to inlet the rear of the bottom metal in a bit further. Finally got it fitted and now it’s feeding like butter out of the Magpul mag.

The inlet job is a little rough but the gunsmith didn’t seem worried at all about filling the gaps with stock bedding epoxy and smoothing everything out.

Attachments

• FAF8BDA5-0366-4521-B51E-D8AA8F6FA3F8.jpeg
      FAF8BDA5-0366-4521-B51E-D8AA8F6FA3F8.jpeg
      363.9 KB · Views: 5
    • A7FE58FF-AEE4-40DA-8B2C-E356655A6202.jpeg
      A7FE58FF-AEE4-40DA-8B2C-E356655A6202.jpeg
      571.2 KB · Views: 4
    • 9A075329-7B6E-4E84-B2E3-793BDCB7C2D9.jpeg
      9A075329-7B6E-4E84-B2E3-793BDCB7C2D9.jpeg
      401.3 KB · Views: 5
    • 1B7985A3-CB68-4055-816E-684CF8D3A2DC.jpeg
      1B7985A3-CB68-4055-816E-684CF8D3A2DC.jpeg
      332.3 KB · Views: 4

desnifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    USA

Is remington even functional at this point? With them being bought out I'm not sure where they stand. The old C series to G series actions were great.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The old C series to G series actions were great.
    No, we just thought they were. With only the possible exception of the 40XBR, the current RR prefix receivers are, as a whole, the best Remington has ever made regarding precision of machining. Or whomever is making them for Remington.

Top Bottom