• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    I am looking to add another 308 to my collection. I will be reloading most of my ammo, and im already set up for 308.

I have located an A+ condition Rem 700 VS SF 26" w/box docs. I have searched the Remington website and can not locate this rifle. I was looking to get an msrp on it and go from, there but no luck. They only offer a VS SF II and not in 308.

I could buy a new Rem 700 at the price the gent wants for the VSSF. He showed me the receipt, purchased new in 1998, 15 years old.

Anyone have experience with this rifle? Should I just go with a new manufacture Rem 700?

Thanks for any input

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    I'd be interested to know if the stock, bedding, or other features are superior to today's 700s that make it the same price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I am looking to add another 308 to my collection. I will be reloading most of my ammo, and im already set up for 308.

I have located an A+ condition Rem 700 VS SF 26" w/box docs. I have searched the Remington website and can not locate this rifle. I was looking to get an msrp on it and go from, there but no luck. They only offer a VS SF II and not in 308.

I could buy a new Rem 700 at the price the gent wants for the VSSF. He showed me the receipt, purchased new in 1998, 15 years old.

Anyone have experience with this rifle? Should I just go with a new manufacture Rem 700?
    Thanks for any input

IMHO older generations will say 15 yr old 700 and new generations will say the new 700. Either way, its still a 700! But i do like the new triggers. It's crisp and i am able to change the pull weight without dumping more money into it..

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I much prefer the old style triggers (with spring swap).
    The 700 VS should have an HS Precision stock.
    I had a blued fluted VS .22-250, was pretty decent (non catalogued item back in the day :)

BTW, the spring change was $10, or you could make them from other stock if you had a correct supply(that then maybe cheaper, or free).

I took a sloppy 600 housing and spring swap and got it safely down to 28 oz. OK for a deer rig, but heavy for a varminter IMHO.
    Now, how low can you go on a X Mark Pro?

Old trigger wins.

But with the old stuff, some folks had "accidents" because they were too stupid to unload their guns without fully seating rounds in the chamber.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I much prefer the old style triggers (with spring swap).
    The 700 VS should have an HS Precision stock.
    I had a blued fluted VS .22-250, was pretty decent (non catalogued item back in the day :)

BTW, the spring change was $10, or you could make them from other stock if you had a correct supply(that then maybe cheaper, or free).

I took a sloppy 600 housing and spring swap and got it safely down to 28 oz. OK for a deer rig, but heavy for a varminter IMHO.
    Now, how low can you go on a X Mark Pro?

Old trigger wins.

But with the old stuff, some folks had "accidents" because they were too stupid to unload their guns without fully seating rounds in the chamber.

Factory sets the X Mark Pro at 3.5lbs with a +/- range of 2lbs, so anywhere from 5.5-1.5lbs.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Factory sets the X Mark Pro at 3.5lbs with a +/- range of 2lbs, so anywhere from 5.5-1.5lbs.

Thankfully Jard and others make unnecessary upgrade kits for those awesome X mark pros ;)

They even used to offer an upgrade spring to drop the # slightly.

And IIRC it was not to get to 1.5#, maybe 2.5#?

I've only had one X mark pro, and messed with another. Neither would go below 2# with factory springs safely.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 28 oz trigger is a deer trigger where I came from. It was simply too annoyingly heavy for a varmint rifle, even a sporter weight or carbine.

But people have different levels of "touch".

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Thanks for the input!

I went with the older one, it has a factory free floated and bedded HS stock. It also has very nice trigger, no adjustment needed.

I put a VXIII on it, now I'm waiting for the weather to break.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Thanks for the input!

I went with the older one, it has a factory free floated and bedded HS stock. It also has very nice trigger, no adjustment needed.

I think you made the right choice.

Now it's time to add some pics.

Rhino12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Thanks for the input!

Congrats! I have shot both 'older' and newer models of the 700 and I have yet to find one I didn't like. They are different, but haven't disliked any of them :D

-Rhino12

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    I think you made the right choice.

Now it's time to add some pics.

Here is a few quick photos, not very good but at least its a photo.:)

Im very happy with it, and I will have to say the trigger is very good, almost to nice to hunt with.

VSSF-1.jpg

VSSF.jpg

Top Bottom