• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I have been wanting a lighter trigger pull on my Remington 700 since I bought it 3 years ago. I believe it has to be around 8lbs. I can place my rifle on a bench with the bipod on and a rear sandbag and slowly pull the trigger and the gun will slide backwards and not go off. I believe its really hurting my groups.

Onward to the point, I can not afford to buy an aftermarket trigger. My workplace has cut their overtime so my gun money is pretty bare. I have searched for articles on adjusting the trigger pull and I found one that seems simple enough that I can do myself Adjusting the Remington 700 Trigger

To the gunsmiths out there, is this the basic practice for adjusting it? Are they still as safe at 1lb as they are from the factory?

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To the gunsmiths out there, is this the basic practice for adjusting it? Are they still as safe at 1lb as they are from the factory?

I'm not a gunsmith but I have adjusted and installed aftermarket triggers in the Rem 700s.

The instructions in the link look good, but I don't think you can adjust the factory triggers to much below 3 pounds just due to the springs that are used from the factory. On my 700 bench rifle, I installed the Jewell trigger adjustable from 1 1/2 OUNCES up to 3 pounds. Jewell supplies 3 different springs and you have to change the springs to go higher or lower than the factory setting of 1 pound.

I have my trigger set to 1 pound and have never had any issues. With the factory 700 trigger, I could sight in on a target at 1,000 yards and when I dry fired, I could see the cross hairs jump all over the place when the trigger broke. With the Jewell trigger every shot is a surprise. I just concentrate on my sight picture and apply steady pressure. There is no creep or indication of movement until the trigger breaks and the round is fired.

Try adjusting the trigger and see if it helps. I don't think you'll be able to get much below 3 pounds. My advice is to start saving your pocket change each night until you have enough saved up for a decent replacement trigger.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    That article describes adjusting a Walker style trigger, and if you bought yours new 3 years ago it will have some XMark variant. The process is similar but the screw locations change.

The Walker and some of the XMarks will go to 3 lbs safely, but sear engagement is as important to feel as weight, and you need to have a good handle on what you are doing to improve that.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    factory triggers can be adjusted to roughly 3 lbs like mentioned above. ive tried most aftermarket triggers, my favorite is rifle basix. they arn't super expensive and they are very good triggers

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The X mark sucks compared to the Walker IMHO.

I don't think they are interchangeable, various places offering aftermarket declare a difference.

I don't need to run my rounds through the chamber to empty the gun, I have enough brains and dexterity to just bump them up a little and flip them out.

So for me there's no need for that $#@%^ X Mark.

I got my Walkers well below 2# safely...........with spring swaps and adjustment.
    Even if setting them for heavier I'd get the spring swap.

The factory spring for reset IMHO is too short and thick of coil, offers no real range of adjustment...........it's either "too much or not enough".

IIRC Jard offers a replacement spring for the X mark to get it down a little more. They also offer replacement parts sets for lesser fixed weights. $70 for a fixed weight kit. $170 or so for an adjustable trigger.

$10 bucks for a Brownells spring kit for a Walker.

IMHO some triggers (factory) can be set lower than others, one just doesn't shoot for a certain pull weight. You can take it as low as it safely can go. I bonk mine pretty hard in different directions to prove they're safe.

I've seen other guys just bump the bbl on the bench and declare them "good to go". Scary.

FWIW my last 600 had a crappy housing, with spring swap I got it to go safely and repeatably to 28 oz. I find that high for a varmint rifle.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Oh yeah, if you don't know what you are doing, take it to somebody who does.

I bought a Model 7 that would with moderate bolt closing trip 50% of the time. Original owner "adjusted the trigger to good and light". Yeah.

The 600 I bought was so poorly adjusted it wouldn't go off half the time, at least when you pulled the trigger. about 3 or 4 seconds after, with finger off and gun still on bags pointed downrange, it'd go boom.

After cleaning, spring changes, proper adjustment, and reseal of screws with epoxy............both guns had light and SAFE trigger pulls.

Some folks should not own Allen wrenches or screwdrivers!

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I like the advice that Yeah and Dave gave. Like Yeah said don't expect less than 3lbs by adjusting it. I'm no gunsmith, but i have adjust a few 700 triggers and i'll say they are one of the easiest factory triggers to make unsafe. My advice is the same as Dave's save your money and buy a Jewell trigger. They are so sweet that they should have another name besides trigger...no BS. Goggle them and make your own decision. The only problem i have had with Jewell triggers, is once you buy one you will want one on every gun you own.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I do plan on buying a Jewell trigger eventually but like I said, Toyota has cut OT down quite a bit for me, basically $75-100 a week lost in income. I hate the trigger on my rifle because I know it is affecting my groups. Maybe Ill just not mess with it and wait however long to buy a new trigger, even though it could be a while.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I found out mine is an adjustable X mark. I adjusted it to a weight I can live with and did multiple stress tests to ensure that it was safe, closed bolt hard, turned safety on and tried firing, flipped safety on and off multiple times quickly, and slammed buttstock on carpet. I did all of these several times. I believe it is safe but Im not sure on the pull weight as I do not own the pull gauge. I just need to seal the screw in place.

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    I do plan on buying a Jewell trigger eventually but like I said, Toyota has cut OT down quite a bit for me, basically $75-100 a week lost in income. I hate the trigger on my rifle because I know it is affecting my groups. Maybe Ill just not mess with it and wait however long to buy a new trigger, even though it could be a while.
    Patience is a virture in the gun world too. Its cheaper in the longrun to wait and do it rite the first time. This ole boy in KY has some good prices. Jewell Triggers at GreatScottShooters.com Good Luck!!

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    Good luck. You are definately losing accuracy due to this problem. There are many drop in triggers if you're able to scrap together some funds. Have fun fixing your problem.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Jewel Trigger

I have a Jewel trigger in my 700 and I can hit quarters at 200yds. For me that quite an accomplishment. The light triggers just take some time to get adjusted to.....the first couple of times that I shot it were all premature fires.........:draw:

Scared the crap out of me! Do it, then practice and you will not regret your purchase. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom