Remington R51: The demise of a gun company?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I'm a life long collector of Remington's. Cut me and I bleed Remington Green. I can only say that nothing Remington has made in the past 15-20 years is much better than garbage. I rate Remington with the junk Stoger, Mossburg and Kel-Tech make. Ditto Colt, my 2nd choice. I love collecting both of these manufacturers guns. But nothing since about 1990 is worth looking at.

To me, Remington and Colt are the GM and Chrysler of the gun world. Two once great companies that are living on borrowed time and produce nice piles of $h1t. The only difference is that I had to bail out GM and Chrysler. These companies are dead to me now, they don't exist in my eyes and I would never but their non-existent products. The same for Colt and Remington. How a private equity company tolerates this kind of performance is beyond me.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm a life long collector of Remington's. Cut me and I bleed Remington Green. I can only say that nothing Remington has made in the past 15-20 years is much better than garbage. I rate Remington with the junk Stoger, Mossburg and Kel-Tech make. Ditto Colt, my 2nd choice. I love collecting both of these manufacturers guns. But nothing since about 1990 is worth looking at.

To me, Remington and Colt are the GM and Chrysler of the gun world. Two once great companies that are living on borrowed time and produce nice piles of $h1t. The only difference is that I had to bail out GM and Chrysler. These companies are dead to me now, they don't exist in my eyes and I would never but their non-existent products. The same for Colt and Remington. How a private equity company tolerates this kind of performance is beyond me.

FWIW, my own 870 Express, made in January of 2012, is quite nice, with no problems at all and fit and finish what I would expect to come from an Express, while not up to what one should expect from a Wingmaster.
    My Marlin 1894, made in November of 2010, is also just fine, and yes, it even has "REP" stamped on the barrel.
    I've been told that the current Marlins are back up to snuff, so don't totally write them off just yet.
    Dunno about their current bolt action or other guns, though.

Ngdonut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    No doubt Remington is not what they used to be. But I have a year old Remington 700 Varmint in .243 that shoots great (averaging around .5 to .75 MOA with only a stock swap) and have shot many times the 1911 R1 and think it is one of my favorite 1911's sub $700. They can still make good firearms. I just wish they would up their quality control a little bit, and reform themselves to what they were when they were on top.

Top Bottom