Reputable range/shop/lessons in or near Evansville?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    So my first question is can anyone recommend a reputable shop and/or range in or near Evansville? I know I've seen one or two shops off of 41 headed north. But I'm brand new at this and would hate to start off with a bad experience. I know I've seen some posters on here talking about stuff around Evansville.

Also very interested in a class or some lessons as I don't just want to own a gun I want to know how to USE it.

If anyone has any good recommendations I would be much obliged :)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Guy Minnis @ Hard Target Firearms Training

I think he might be able to take you from beginning to end, well worth checking into.

There are a lot of shops, all around here have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a little shop in Mount Vernon called Tucker's Sporting Goods that I go to and I like that place on North 41 called Right to Keep and Bare Arms but don't get up there much because I live so far away. If you are looking to browse, Gander Mountain is a good place to go look and so is Strictly Shooting or Rajo's on the West Side...once you know what you are looking for drop a post and ask where to buy... if you REALLY want to go to a gun shop, head to Whittaker's in Owensboro Kentucky and plan on looking for a LONG TIME! One of the biggest and best shops in probably a 500 mile radius LOL

tdosha

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I've become a huge fan of Right to Bare Arms also. It is on the left before you get to Ft. Branch. The selection isn't overwhelming and they will spend the time talking to you to figure out what fits you best.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I checked out Hard Targets website but it's looking like you have to provide your own firearm (not there yet) and there isn't another basics class for the rest of the year! :'(

I'm looking in to possibly driving up to Indy for a class now.

Right to Bare Arms is what I know I've drove passed.

Any good ranges around here? Wouldn't mind driving a little ways to go to a decent range. What about this Strictly Shooting? They have a range yeah? I saw a thread about them but poor reputation it sounds like?

Thanks for the replies!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Strictly does rent gun and is really the only 'public' range around. Plenty of 'member's only' ranges like Red Brush and West Side Sportsman's Club or Daniel Boone but very few just open to the general public to go plink.

I'd still email Guy and let him know you are interested; chances are he'd be willing to rent a gun for you to get some instruction on.

If you get bored tomorrow, a good number of us here on INGO are shooting some IDPA at Red Brush tomorrow and it'd give you an opportunity to meet a few INGO members, see what IDPA is all about and possibly get introduced to a few instructors that occasionally show.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    Any good ranges around here? Wouldn't mind driving a little ways to go to a decent range. What about this Strictly Shooting? They have a range yeah? I saw a thread about them but poor reputation it sounds like?

Sugar Ridge FWA in Winslow, about 40 minutes from here but it is free and outdoor. There is a 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard, and a 200 yard range. It's a nice clean place to go. Haven't been to Strictly in years, owner is a nice guy, but annoyed by the people that work there. Wasn't very friendly before, probably won't go back.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Whittakers down in Kentucky, and Buck and Jakes over in Boonville. I also like Rajos downtown, just make sure you catch Stan on a good day. Though from what I hear he is a lot nicer than he used to be. Personally, I like him. I live over in Newburgh, and theres a small shop called lock n load right in old town Newburgh.

If you have any more questions, shoot me a PM, hell maybe we can meet out at IWLA (I am a member) and shoot.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    Go to Meek's. Just right down the road from Right to Bear Arms in Ft. Branch. Great guys, very helpful. Meek's is soon supposed to have over 2,000 guns in stock. They have about average prices. i think Right to Bear Arms is a little expensive really.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Thanks you guys, I am touched by your kind offers to let me come shoot with you. And I would love to do that, and meet some other members. I work weekend nights, however. :( But through the week I am generally free (no social life).

I will email Guy per your suggestion Dusty...who knows maybe I can get squeezed in to something. If not, there's also an NRA course near Indy, I would be ok with driving 1 day to that.

Thank you again everyone! :)

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    :yesway: agree!

QUOTE=DustyDawg48;3169869]Guy Minnis @ Hard Target Firearms Training

I think he might be able to take you from beginning to end, well worth checking into.

There are a lot of shops, all around here have their strengths and weaknesses. I have a little shop in Mount Vernon called Tucker's Sporting Goods that I go to and I like that place on North 41 called Right to Keep and Bare Arms but don't get up there much because I live so far away. If you are looking to browse, Gander Mountain is a good place to go look and so is Strictly Shooting or Rajo's on the West Side...once you know what you are looking for drop a post and ask where to buy... if you REALLY want to go to a gun shop, head to Whittaker's in Owensboro Kentucky and plan on looking for a LONG TIME! One of the biggest and best shops in probably a 500 mile radius LOL[/QUOTE]

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    Go to Meek's. Just right down the road from Right to Bear Arms in Ft. Branch. Great guys, very helpful. Meek's is soon supposed to have over 2,000 guns in stock. They have about average prices. i think Right to Bear Arms is a little expensive really.

+1 on Meeks!

Glen

Top Bottom