• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Been doing some thinking guys, and with my limited (and I stress limited :rolleyes:) income, I'd like to build an M16a1 or a2 looking AR. After some research, it seems like it's one I'd really like, seeing how you it can't tempt me with doo-dads and I personally like the fixed stock and triangle handguards.

So, with that said, how would I go about building an AR? Do I need special tools? Also because it's an older version I'd need the older upper and lower so would I have to buy surplus or are these parts in current production? And I'd want a 16" Disappator on my upper so could any big name upper maker do that? (Brownells?)
    Finally, I'm worried about cost. Is it humanly possible to build this under or a little over $550? Like I said limited funds, so it won't be built all at once either.

Any help is appreciated for this AR newb. :D

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    You would be better off with another $150, but it might be possible if you are patient. All of the parts are still available as current production, and you can occasionally find complete A2 style uppers for a good price. The arent really any specialty tools required, but you may need an armorers wrench if you are assembling the upper yourself. There are plenty of videos on Youtube to walk you through the process.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Palmetto State Armory is selling $49.95 stripped lowers right now, add the SARCO kit to that and a armorers tool and you should be set for really close to your budget. It wont say Colt on the the lower but that should be about the only difference.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Sweeet. I've factored it in, and I need to put money aside for a while anyways..but maybe by January/February I'll have the evil black gun assembled :evil:

How much are lowers usually? That's a sale price it seems but I doubt it's any more expensive than that. Also, A2 kits are cheaper by $40 but no "burst parts" are included. What are those?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's the trigger group. It only means you're getting the standard semi-auto parts of the linkage.

If it were original A2 small parts it would be NFA - and very expensive.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    So say I buy one of those original surplus parts kits. All I'd need to build it is an armorer's wrench, and a lower receiver? Could I buy the $50 lower and have it work or do I need the exact copy $120 one or is the difference cosmetic?

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    So say I buy one of those original surplus parts kits. All I'd need to build it is an armorer's wrench, and a lower receiver? Could I buy the $50 lower and have it work or do I need the exact copy $120 one or is the difference cosmetic?

You can buy a $50 lower and it'll work with that parts set.It just won't look exact to the period of the gun.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I'm pretty sure most of the sets like that the upper is already completled.So you'd just have to assemble your lower which isn't that hard at all.Youtube has tons of videos on how to assemble to help you out.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Sarco kit came in bags and boxes. I enlisted the help of a more seasoned AR guy for the barrel install, but he didn't seem to have a problem with that.

I put 95% of it together myself using a book and you tube and other internet resources. It has ran only 150 rounds but not one mis-feed.

Accuracy is something I'm working on. I know it is consistent, I'm just finding it shoots 3" low (at 50 yards) with the sight picture I'm trying to use. I don't have a front sight tool yet.

I must admit, I'm low on the tree of knowledge as the AR rifle goes.

Just be patient, ask questions, look things up, be sure of your actions before you make an install and do not rush.

After knowing what each part does what and why, you see a bigger picture as to why each part has specific shapes and why. I still haven't taken apart a bolt carrier group yet. The learning never ends.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Been doing some thinking guys, and with my limited (and I stress limited :rolleyes:) income, I'd like to build an M16a1 or a2 looking AR. After some research, it seems like it's one I'd really like, seeing how you it can't tempt me with doo-dads and I personally like the fixed stock and triangle handguards.

So, with that said, how would I go about building an AR? Do I need special tools? Also because it's an older version I'd need the older upper and lower so would I have to buy surplus or are these parts in current production? And I'd want a 16" Disappator on my upper so could any big name upper maker do that? (Brownells?)
    Finally, I'm worried about cost. Is it humanly possible to build this under or a little over $550? Like I said limited funds, so it won't be built all at once either.

Any help is appreciated for this AR newb. :D
    I, too, like the old school AR's I like the carrying handle, and the triangle forestock, and the three pronged flash hider...call me crazy! Fired that type in basic...in 1981!

Top Bottom