• ...and so much more!
  • Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Hello All!
    I am in the market for a smaller carry gun.. sometimes referred to as a 'mousegun'.
    I would like some reviews or opinions on the following two guns:
    Kel-tec's P32 (.32)
    and
    Walther's PPK or PPK/S (.380)

Here are some grading points I would like to focus on:
    -Easy to CC/OC as needed
    -Reliability
    -Safeguards
    -Ease of use for both male and female hands (incase the wife wants to try it)
    -Overall costs
    -Ability to add a laser grip or other customizations

Anything else to add, please feel free!
    Thank you!!
    :ingo:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Opinion

I own a Kel Tec P32. After two trips back to Kel Tec, it is working
    perfectly and I really like it. Very easy to conceal, and little recoil.
    As far as 380's are concerned, I would recommend a Bersa Thunder 380.
    The most reliable gun I have ever owned, accurate and very affordable.
    They make a conceal and carry version, which would carry better, with no
    reduction in reliability.

Plisken

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Under the radar
    I have both the kel-tec p-32 and the bersa thunder 380. And there both great guns for there intended roles. The kel-tec is a true poket gun but i feel the bersa is a bit big for poket carry but conceals well in the waist band or belt and open carry. I piked the bersa over the walther for price and I feel the bersa has a better and smoother trigger out of the box. The 32 has very light recoil for its size and weight. The bersa is a little snappy but managable. And the 380 has a bit more power. I use the 32 for hot wearher and when Im bicycling because its so darned light to carry. Hope this helps you out.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hello All!
    I am in the market for a smaller carry gun.. sometimes referred to as a 'mousegun'.
    I would like some reviews or opinions on the following two guns:
    Kel-tec's P32 (.32)
    and
    Walther's PPK or PPK/S (.380)

Here are some grading points I would like to focus on:
    -Easy to CC/OC as needed
    -Reliability
    -Safeguards
    -Ease of use for both male and female hands (incase the wife wants to try it)
    -Overall costs
    -Ability to add a laser grip or other customizations

Anything else to add, please feel free!
    Thank you!!
    :ingo:

I'd advise against a PPK or a PPK/S if you place any value on the web between your thumb and trigger finger. :noway:

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was looking at a PPK/S or Bersa thunder before i settled on my LCP. I shot a Bersa thunder. It fired smooth, and i didnt have any problem with the 20 or so rounds I put through it. I ended up settling on my LCP due to a few factors. Size and conceal-ability being first and foremost. The gun is super small, very light weight, and comfortable for me. If you have large hands, it will not be comfortable. I have little girly hands and i needed the pinky extensions to make it comfortable for me. Once i did that, It actually felt better than the thunder did. After firing it, it is poppier than the thunder, but is easy to bring under control. It is pretty consistent, but the sights are terrible. I am glad i went the way I did, I love my LCP and the 100 rounds i've put through it so far, and have never had a problem. However, if i was a little bit larger of a person, i think the thunder/PPK/s would have worked great. Very nice guns. I've had some friends who have had bad Kel Tec experiences, but i have never tried one, so i cant comment on the Kel Tec.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    This isn't exactly what you asked for but my opinion is on the Kel-Tec .380, almost same size as the .32, but considerably more powerful. I also had to send mine back to the factory for a fluff and buff, and they did a great job. I also mounted an Armalaser...highly recommended. Bottom line....it's my daily carry....weather in pocket or on ankle. Very light. Very accurate. I like...a lot. If for some reason, I had to replace it...I'd buy another.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    Never had a problem with my Walther PPK/S biting the web of my hand & I have large hands...
    Guess it's just being aware & understanding how not to hold the pistol.

I'd recommend the Kel Tec 380, Ruger or S&W body guard though, nothing against the Walthers....they just seem a little dated compared to the new offerings & not as easy to pick up on.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    If you like the PPK, you might take a look at the Bersa Thunder series that someone mentioned above... Not only is it a cheaper alternative, I favor the Bersa line due to the design changes they made after copying the PPK design.

Personally, I prefer to carry a .380 over a .32... Having shot the Keltec P32 quite a bit, I do not have anything bad to say about it - but I personally prefer the Kel-tec's P3at or Ruger LCP to the P32.

If you were willing to spend more, my opinion is that the Sig p238 is superior to both the Keltec P3at and Ruger LCP, but they are also around double the price.

Sig P238:
    images

I believe all of the guns mentioned can be be bought with crimson trace, and all will likely meet your requirements.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have never shot the Kel-Tec 32 but I have shot the 380. I didn't care for the 380 because I kept getting bit by the trigger. I have owned a Bersa and it was a fantastic firearm, very accurate but too big for pocket. I now have the LCP and I wouldn't part with it. I find it to be accurate, don't get the "Bite" like the Kel-Tec and I actually think it's fun to shoot. Personally, I prefer the 380 over the 32. Not much difference in size and you gain considerably more in firepower. With 7 available rounds of Hydra-Shok or Golden Sabres, I have no concerns. You have a few different choices if a laser is in consideration and now Houge makes a specific rubber grip for it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2011
    NWI
    i got a bersa firestorm used from a coworker and the build quality is quite good. i like how its all metal and tried tulammo with it and it fired all fine but one that failed to feed, maybe the ramp needs polishing.

Rocknhawk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up a Kel Tec P32. It is extremely easy to conceal--only slightly longer than an iPhone but a little bit "wider". I've only fired it a couple times but there doesn't seem to be a ton of recoil.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Great feedback so far from everyone, thank you!

So far it appears there is lots of favor on the Kel-tec, Bersa, and LCP.

Little love on the Walther.. but it was mentioned they are a little older, so maybe just not much ownership of them? Or truely not the way to go?

In the end, I will plan to test fire the recommendations first, but wanted to have 2-3 guns in mind to start with.So please keep the ideas coming!

One following up question/comment: with the favor on the .380 size.. I am good with that.. I shoot a .45 regularly and love it.
    But would my wife notice much difference from the .32 to the .380?
    I don't want to scare her off... and she has shot a .32 before and liked it. She did not like the .45..

Side note.. She did shoot a S&W .500 as well. Obviously did not care for it.. but I think I did see a small smile afterwards... :D

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    Kel-Tec Vs. Bersa Vs. Sig Sauer .380

Ok, I got into a gun show and got my hands on some of the above models. Here is where I am with things:

Everyone says the Derringer is too harsh, and I didn't get to handle one. But for now, I am crossing this off the list.

I did hold the Walther PPK380 and the Rugar LCP380.
    The Walther was heavier and harder on the saftey and slide. My wife would not like the 'effort' it would require.

The LCP was very light.. but I felt it kind of had a 'cheap' feel and it did not feel right in my hand. My ring finger kept slipping off the mag. Did not like it.

I am still interested in hearing about the Kel-tec 380 and Bersa Thunder 380.
    Yes-- I think I've officially set on a .380 not a .32

Finally, my sister bought a Sig Sauer P238. It was very nice. Light, easy to hold and point. Slide was smooth.
    I called my wife to shoot it and she seemed to enjoy it as well.

So now I'm looking for reviews/advice on the:
    --Bersa
    --Kel-Tec
    --Sig Sauer

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ok, I got into a gun show and got my hands on some of the above models. Here is where I am with things:

Everyone says the Derringer is too harsh, and I didn't get to handle one. But for now, I am crossing this off the list.

I did hold the Walther PPK380 and the Rugar LCP380.
    The Walther was heavier and harder on the saftey and slide. My wife would not like the 'effort' it would require.

The LCP was very light.. but I felt it kind of had a 'cheap' feel and it did not feel right in my hand. My ring finger kept slipping off the mag. Did not like it.

I am still interested in hearing about the Kel-tec 380 and Bersa Thunder 380.
    Yes-- I think I've officially set on a .380 not a .32

Finally, my sister bought a Sig Sauer P238. It was very nice. Light, easy to hold and point. Slide was smooth.
    I called my wife to shoot it and she seemed to enjoy it as well.

So now I'm looking for reviews/advice on the:
    --Bersa
    --Kel-Tec
    --Sig Sauer

Having owned both, I would take the Thunder 380 over the KelTec. However, I would take a Beretta 70S or 85FS over either of them. ;)

Top Bottom