• ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Chapter 1
    I be honest, I’ve never cleaned a piece of brass in my life. Maybe hit hit with a green scratchy if it was dirty enough. Well this tumbler was gifted to me at three years ago. I’ve never used because of the price of tumbling media. The other day I happened upon using rice as tumble media. So heck, thought I’ll try. I have rice from 2015 in in wine bottles I corked. It is getting a little long in the tooth. Everything was lining up for the perfect experiment. I have dirty brass, a tumbler and old rice….so what the heck…….Let’s do this!
    Chapter 2
    My gifted tumbler (see pic1). I tumbled for about 2 hours. The rice was dirty after it was done but not black [See pic 2). The only problem was that evey .45 had a nine or .38 jammed in it and it was stuck with rice (see pics 3 and 4). All of them pulled apart easily except for half a dozen. I had to use pliers to pull those apart. Of those only two 9mm were sacrificed on the alter of the reloading experiment. This whole problem could have been avoided if I were a smart man and would have separated my brass and ran by size rather than dumping them all in and running. Now for the payoff. the last pic is clean brass for about .25 cent of rice. Some Rice did jamb in some cases, but it never took more than a gentle tap on the side of the tumbler and it would evacuate easily. I purposely tumbled the brass with spent primer in so I would not have to deal rice getting stuck in the primer holes.

Chapter 3 (not illustrated)
    I was on a roll, so I experimented some more. I placed about 100-150 or so 556 in the same rice. Let it run again for a couple hours. The cases are clean. Rice is much more dirty now. It has a peppered look. I do not have a media sifter. The cases were all full of rice. The inside was cleaned. However I had to shake the rice out of ever case because of the bottle neck on the cases it took some time to shake free. It took me about 15-20 minutes to clear every case. It was not hard but I think I will stick to straight wall cartridges or maybe some cartridge with a bigger caliber of bullet to make this easier.
    Chapter 4 (also not illustrated)
    Final thoughts. Never tumbled in anything other than rice so don’t know how it compares. It does leave a fine white dusting. I just put the brass in a cloth and shook it for a few seconds. 99% of the residue came off the cases. Would I use it again? Certainly. It is cheap enough. It cleaned the brass very well. Is there better? I’m sure of it but for my paltry reloading needs, it done much better than the green scratchy. Anyway I thought I’d share my experiment. I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 95557BB0-BCDE-482A-91FC-8C1C103F94C6.jpeg
      95557BB0-BCDE-482A-91FC-8C1C103F94C6.jpeg
      424.5 KB · Views: 27
    • 92C3F662-6387-435D-9907-33A239BB023F.jpeg
      92C3F662-6387-435D-9907-33A239BB023F.jpeg
      361.3 KB · Views: 20
    • EDF43C8B-553D-4338-9928-29F8E2D9F6DE.jpeg
      EDF43C8B-553D-4338-9928-29F8E2D9F6DE.jpeg
      409.4 KB · Views: 21
    • 6F9BDB32-A925-439D-94DC-96F980FE6A2C.jpeg
      6F9BDB32-A925-439D-94DC-96F980FE6A2C.jpeg
      329.7 KB · Views: 26
    • A7EE98E0-8098-4A46-A700-3A042F7BD3BA.jpeg
      A7EE98E0-8098-4A46-A700-3A042F7BD3BA.jpeg
      577.5 KB · Views: 26

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    "All I have to do is try & find some NOT from China."
    Most of the grain elevators in AR I've seen have Riceland on them. Most likely a China company now. Grown here but supporting them.
    "Go to a pet store and get some reptile bedding."
    Zilla crushed walnut bedding come in 10 and 25 qt bags at my local Petco. Can search amazon for larger bags.
    My first tumbling's were sand in a round gallon jug. Let roll around in my truck bed for 2 weeks or more.
    Casings that can be tumbled together, 380 and 9mm, 38spl and 357 mag, 45 auto 45 colt and 44 rem, 40 sw and 10 mm, most all bottle necks. Might be more that I don't know of.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Woody131 saved me many years ago from the case/media nesting fiasco that comes with different calibers tumbling together. We both had tables at pockettraders (early on) & I had not yet started reloading.

I have heard of rice before but never tried it, I have LOTS of crushed walnut & corncob. Mostly wet tumble with a bit of dishsoap, lemishine & Armorall W&W.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    "Mostly wet tumble with a bit of dishsoap, lemishine & Armorall W&W."
    I answered a craigslist ad, free treadmill. I cut the frame down for 1 cylinder. From my X son-in-law's plumbing truck I got a 20" of 6" PVC and fittings. Add aluminum stripes inside for baffles. 1 cup sand, 1 Tsp Dawn, 1 tsp Lemishine, 3/4 filled with water for 2 hours. For an air dryer I got a 20" piece of 8" PVC. Cut 4 2X15" rectangle holes and covered with 1/4" hardware cloth. After rinsing the cases they go into the dryer cylinder. A squirrel cage fan blows on them for 40 minutes. Cases then go into a tumbler with corncob and NuFinish.

A neighbor put a treadmill at the street for trash. Ground pin missing on plug. I watched a Utube video that used Folger cans. I built a wood frame on the mill for 4 cans. Not enough tape, they leaked and wouldn't roll.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Chapter 1
    I be honest, I’ve never cleaned a piece of brass in my life. Maybe hit hit with a green scratchy if it was dirty enough. Well this tumbler was gifted to me at three years ago. I’ve never used because of the price of tumbling media. The other day I happened upon using rice as tumble media. So heck, thought I’ll try. I have rice from 2015 in in wine bottles I corked. It is getting a little long in the tooth. Everything was lining up for the perfect experiment. I have dirty brass, a tumbler and old rice….so what the heck…….Let’s do this!
    Chapter 2
    My gifted tumbler (see pic1). I tumbled for about 2 hours. The rice was dirty after it was done but not black [See pic 2). The only problem was that evey .45 had a nine or .38 jammed in it and it was stuck with rice (see pics 3 and 4). All of them pulled apart easily except for half a dozen. I had to use pliers to pull those apart. Of those only two 9mm were sacrificed on the alter of the reloading experiment. This whole problem could have been avoided if I were a smart man and would have separated my brass and ran by size rather than dumping them all in and running. Now for the payoff. the last pic is clean brass for about .25 cent of rice. Some Rice did jamb in some cases, but it never took more than a gentle tap on the side of the tumbler and it would evacuate easily. I purposely tumbled the brass with spent primer in so I would not have to deal rice getting stuck in the primer holes.

Chapter 3 (not illustrated)
    I was on a roll, so I experimented some more. I placed about 100-150 or so 556 in the same rice. Let it run again for a couple hours. The cases are clean. Rice is much more dirty now. It has a peppered look. I do not have a media sifter. The cases were all full of rice. The inside was cleaned. However I had to shake the rice out of ever case because of the bottle neck on the cases it took some time to shake free. It took me about 15-20 minutes to clear every case. It was not hard but I think I will stick to straight wall cartridges or maybe some cartridge with a bigger caliber of bullet to make this easier.
    Chapter 4 (also not illustrated)
    Final thoughts. Never tumbled in anything other than rice so don’t know how it compares. It does leave a fine white dusting. I just put the brass in a cloth and shook it for a few seconds. 99% of the residue came off the cases. Would I use it again? Certainly. It is cheap enough. It cleaned the brass very well. Is there better? I’m sure of it but for my paltry reloading needs, it done much better than the green scratchy. Anyway I thought I’d share my experiment. I hope it helps.
    You can buy corn cob media at the pet store and add Brasso to it. I have used commercial corn cob media for decades, this year I added Midway brass cleaner and it made a world of difference. Wear a dust filter when you empty the polisher ,as there's lead in that dust.

Top Bottom