• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm wondering what other M92 owners have experienced as far as accuracy out of these rifles. I just bought a 16 inch model in 44 magnum the other week and after 50 rounds of factory UMC 180 grain JSP rounds chronographed at 2173, and 50 rounds of my own 240 grain cast SWC reloads, I am pretty unimpressed with the accuracy of this rifle, even at 25 yards. 2 inch group at 25 yards with the factory ammo and 3 to 4 inches for my reloads. I understand I may not have the bullet/powder combo right for what this rifle likes just yet, but 2 inch groups at pistol distance? Shouldn't a rifle make one big hole at that range? Is this common for accuracy with the Rossi M92, or is accuracy better with the 357 chambering or am I just using the wrong ammo? Do these rifles like certain rounds but just vomit out everything else?

Information on my reloads - My barrel slugs out at .429. My cast 240 grain swc bullets are .4305 dia. 9 grains of Bullseye and very consistent speeds of 1157fps. I am picturing a deer out at 75 yards, aiming at it's heart but blowing it's leg off. I sure don't want to do that so what accuracy are you guys getting out of your M92s?

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I find my same Rossi as your to be very accurate. Have shot it on paper out to 50 yards and was getting 2 to 3 inch groups. I also load 240 LSWC but are sized to .432 also some 310 grain sized the same. Have not ran any factory ammo out of this gun. I use either 300MP for full loads or Red dot for mild loads. Hope this helps.

Muzzle Flash

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Valpo
    I'm just getting started reloading , talk about a newbe ,I haven't even mounted my press yet.So all I been shooting is factory loads . Anyway I have a 454 and I'm impressed both with 454 and 45 ammo out of mine.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Part of me wants to say you're "over thinking" or "over-reacting", yet I may not fully understand what it is you are wanting out of this rifle. What were the groupings like at 50 yards, I might ask? The size of the hole is not relative to distance, it is relative to the projectiles diameter, shape, and trajectory when it hits the target. Also it takes at least a hundred yards or so for the projectile to start to drop in most, if not all rifles.

However, I have an m92 in .45LC, and last time I shot it at 50 yards I was getting 2-3 in. groups. Some other people who also shot it that day at the same distance on new targets was getting around the same. Which for me is fine, it's still hitting what I'm aiming at, and I don't expect it to punch through the same hole all day long, not sure many humans could do that anyway.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I bought a 16" big loop M92 in .357 magnum this spring. My FIL and I took it out shortly after I bought it to do some test firing on it. We were both extremely surprised at how accurate this rifle was straight out of the box with the iron sights. I was easily hitting 1" groups at 25 yards and <2" groups at 50 yards. I actually decided NOT to but a scope rail on this rifle based upon how accurate it was with the iron sights.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Get a box or WWB JSP 240 grain. Test them. See what you get. A thirty dollar experMent.

i would think benched you would be 1 inch 25 and 2 inch 50 at least. 4'inch 50 yard groups are not what you want to hunt with.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    Had some success with that rifle on white tail 2 seasons ago. Hand-load of my fathers, the only thing i remember was the bullet, was a Hornady XTP 240 grain. I'd wager 2-3 inch groups as others have said are what you'd find, good luck!

UncleNorby

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Near South Bend, IN
    4" at 50 yds? Bowhunters do it all the time. In the majority of the spots I hunt, I would not feel really handicapped with a gun that hits within 2 inches of my point fo aim at 50 yds. So, it depends upon what you need to get out fo the gun where you would hunt.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    My 50 yard groups were not all on the paper plate I was shooting at. This is my first center fire rifle in a pistol caliber, so maybe I am expecting too much from it? My 10/22 and AR15 seem much more accurate than this Rossi. I think I may try buying some professionally made bullets of differing weights and diameters and try loading those instead of my home cast ones. A YouTuber suggested I try Unique powder, but I can't find any. Profire Arms told me they haven't had any of that for 16 months

The place I plan to hunt is private property and the deer are probably within bow range most of the time, which seems fine for the accuracy I'm getting at the moment, but this property is also surrounded by farm fields and permission to take deer from the fields is also given, so the ranges could get out past 100 yards. I hear 100 yards is about the limit of this rifle/caliber for most people. Thanks for all the responses.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Was this rifle new when you bought it?
    If not, try a super-cleaning job, including using a copper-killer in the bore.

My M92 is a .454Casull, and I can hold 3" groups out to about 60 or 70 yards.

Make sure you don't have any fouling in the barrel then try again.
    Try letting a friend that you know can shoot try their hand at shooting yours.

If your friend shoots the same groups it's the gun. If they shoot better...

Top Bottom