Ruger American Ranch 5.56 load testing...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So today I stopped at a gun shop and handled a Savage Axis, Mossberg and the Ruger. And I was left wanting. To me none of the actions felt good and they overall had the feel of a $300 rifle.

Am I just not used to today's bolt actions? Growing up we had Weatherby's, Winchesters and Remingtons. The bolts ran quiet and slick. The rifles had some mass and structure around the action.

I was really surprised (and disappointed) with the feel of cycling the bolt on those 3.

Is that the way new rifles are? Or is it the price point and if I want more, I need to spend more?

Not dissing those rifles as I know some of you guys and if you say they shoot well, I believe it. And that is what is important. Maybe I'm spoiled with what I grew up with.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    So today I stopped at a gun shop and handled a Savage Axis, Mossberg and the Ruger. And I was left wanting. To me none of the actions felt good and they overall had the feel of a $300 rifle.

Am I just not used to today's bolt actions? Growing up we had Weatherby's, Winchesters and Remingtons. The bolts ran quiet and slick. The rifles had some mass and structure around the action.

I was really surprised (and disappointed) with the feel of cycling the bolt on those 3.

Is that the way new rifles are? Or is it the price point and if I want more, I need to spend more?

Not dissing those rifles as I know some of you guys and if you say they shoot well, I believe it. And that is what is important. Maybe I'm spoiled with what I grew up with.
    When I bought my Ruger .556, it was during the good ol' days (pre-Covid), and it was a $300 rifle. If memory serves, it was on sale for $379, so close enough.

In reality, as long as the bolt locks-up, and the barrel is accurate, you have a potentially accurate rifle. The feel of the bolt, and its' travel is not particularly relevant .... although I agree.... it's nice to have. Yup, probably only going to get that smooth feel on a $600+ rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom