• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    How often do you clean yours? I bought a used one a few months ago and Ive put off cleaning cause Ive heard how much of a pain it is and Ive put around 500 rds through it so I know I should but it hasnt had a hiccup yet. I guess Im sort of intimidated by it lol.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I rarely actually break it down and clean it. As long as it's not your defensive pistol or only range gun, keep shootin' it until you have issues. I normally just spray some cleaner in the action, lube the bolt a bit, and bore snake it every once in awhile.

Having said that, it's not nearly as intimidating as people make it out to be. I'm just lazy. Watch the videos, read the manual. I've done it before multiple times and when I have a bored, rainy day, I'll do it again. Definitely not as easy as most modern pistols, but it's not too bad and it only gets easier.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I rarely actually break it down and clean it. As long as it's not your defensive pistol or only range gun, keep shootin' it until you have issues. I normally just spray some cleaner in the action, lube the bolt a bit, and bore snake it every once in awhile.

Thats what I do after I go to the range lol

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Google Ruger M III and they have a few really good videos on this proceedure. Do it the way they show you. I bought mine used and you could see the previous owner had issues with the tear down.
    Really not that hard.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Several years ago a buddy and I got in a discussion about the need for cleaning the Mark 2s. Shot that bad boy all summer. 1000s of cheap .22s later when it would fail to fire I'd take a small screwdriver and scrape the goop out that collected in front of the chamber. Put a drop of oil on the bolt and go back to shooting. This is not my normal cleaning process. But, kind of proved to me the Ruger's are hard to make malfunction.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I clean mine after every range trip. Usually 300-500 rounds per trip. Don't let the Ruger get the best of you. It isn't really that hard to field strip and a clean gun is a happy gun. The only FTF's I have had are with a dirty gun. All of 2 that I remember after several thousand rounds.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I field strip (remove the bolt only) my 22/45 MKIII ~3K rounds. dis-assembly isn't the nightmare the you hear about. This is one of the best site for dis/assembly for Ruger .22lr pistols. Using this site I was able to remove the mag disconnect from my 22/45 MKIII.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They're not hard.
    Sometimes if you miss catching the strut the mainspring housing will stick at inserted position and not want to come back out, only pop up a bit (esp on 22/45's).
    Just wiggle it vigorously within its range for a spell and it'll pop loose.

stewballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Do about the same as others, spray some cleaner wipe it down then a little gun oil.

Never had problems following those steps.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Mine is pretty much brand new. Taken it apart a few times, it does get easier the more you do it. I don't clean it everytime out but thats only been 2 times. They are great guns.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    By now, I could disassemble and reassemble blindfolded. - In fact, I going to check out that claim tonight.

But, I don't always clean that gun. Actually, it's the gun that gets shot the most and cleaned the least. That's because it doesn't need or want to be cleaned. It's quite happy without regular cleaning.

Top Bottom