• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Getting ready to purchase my first handgun, been a rifle guy all my life and figured it's finally time to pickup a handgun for myself.. Anyone here have experience with either of these? Any help is appreciated

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    If you are talking about the sigma series s&w run. But i am pretty sure the sd is different though. the m&P series are nice havent heard too many people complain. But dont know how much exactly of a price difference it is between the two. The ruger p95 is a decent gun for the money i have owned a few in the past. None have ever given me any qualms. I donthave currentlyget have a p95 andis probably wont belactate buying another. As ii have my sights on aa different 9mmthough But the sr9 i believe it is called is in my opinion worth the extra in that route. But then you start getting into kahr price territory as well as alot of other great guns as well. But imho its would come down to which gun do you shoot better..

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    The SD is between the sigma and the m&p. I have not shot the SD or the ruger. But I really like every ruger pistol I've shot but the p95 seems bulky. Now I've owned a m&p and I've shot a sigma. I absolutely hated the the trigger on the sigma, but the m&p was good for polymer. From what I've heard one of the biggest upgrades from the sigma to the SD was the trigger

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I had a P95 and it was a solid and reliable gun. The trigger pull was just okay and it was a bit bulky for concealed carry but otherwise it was a good gun. Its a DA/SA gun making it a bit more complicated than the double action only pistols like the Glock and SD9. It also has a slide mounted safety/decocker which I've never been a fan of but that's just my opinion. Also it is a proven design that's been around for decades.

I've not owned the SD9 but I have handled one in the gun store and they seem nice. The trigger was sufficiently heavy to discourage ND's but not stupid heavy like the Sigma. It's also got an easier manual of arms than the Ruger with no external safeties and the same trigger pull from first to last shot. It's also not as bulky as the Ruger and certainly more attractive. Unfortunately it is a newer design that seems to be based on the older Sigma (a reliable pistol with an awful trigger) and the M&P. Time will only tell if it is as reliable as the Ruger. I think if I was looking for a concealed carry piece I would lean toward the SD9.

Both guns are made by reputable manufacturers who take customer service very seriously so if anything goes wrong you can be confident that they will take care of you.

Just my :twocents:

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I have the S&W SD9, love it...if your into polymer guns it is a good one.

Come apart just like a glock for easy FS'ing and cleaning....the front sight is trijicon for low/no light aiming, 16+1, nice grip for medium size hands.

1st time at range, 21 ft...i was able to keep a 2.5" pattern.

Alot of people are *****in that these are glorified sigmas....but they are not.
    They are a 50/50 design mix of sigma and m&p externally though.

I have not shot the Ruger you asked about, but here is my opinion on the SD9.

Not a bad size for an EDC either.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have several friends with an SD9 and they are happy with them. But, after shooting my broken in MP9, they all have said that they should have saved the extra $80-$100 and bought an MP. They (M&P) pop up in the classifieds here often.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've never fired an SD9, but I currently own a P95. The P95 is indeed bulky. But it is also extremely reliable. You can probably pick up a used one fairly cheap (which is what I did) and be happy with it. I've put well over 2k rounds through mine without a hiccup, except for operator error when I limp wristed it a couple times. Otherwise it's been reliable as an anvil.

stack23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    NWI
    Thanks for the input everyone, appreciate it.

Found a p95 on here with 5 mags and 2 holsters for a decent price so i bought it, can't wait to get out and shoot it. Now i need to apply for my LTCH, say i want to go shoot is it legal to have the gun in my car unloaded in the trunk without a license?

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Congrats stack23. I'm sure you will be happy with your new purchase. The P95 is one of the most reliable pistols around and it's cheap too.

As for transporting it, I'm no lawyer but as I understand it you need a permit for the gun to leave your house. There is a federal statute that allows you to transport guns while "traveling" as long as they are unloaded, boxed and locked away in the trunk, but it depends on what constitutes "travel" and personally I wouldn't want to be the one to lead the charge to find out.

Fortunately most cops I've met here in Indiana are pretty good about sorting out the good guys from the bad guys and probably wouldn't have too much trouble with a guy transporting his safely stored gun to the range for a little practice as long as it seemed plausible (i.e. it's a sunny Saturday afternoon and the encounter happens between where you live and a known practice range) but I'm not advising you to break the law. Obviously if you get pulled over with a loaded gun at 3 AM on a rainy weeknight that story is going to sound like total BS (which it would be).

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited:

bigmich

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    I have both put lots of round down rang with both of them they equally work well but the ruger is bigger and weighs more just my 2 cents

Top Bottom