• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I thought all Rugers had the trigger transfer bar?!

So unless the trigger hit something on the way down (side of the holster, speed loader??), or he coon-fingered it dropping his pants.

I think that they ALL have transfer bars...save for some of the very first single action revolvers. Perhaps he was carrying one of those? It IS Arizona, after all.

Or it could be that it wasn't a Ruger revolver; we all know how accurate the police and media are when it comes to firearms.

-J-

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    true and good point

I just read yesterday in some safety recomendations that a single action should be carried with the hammer on a empty chamber....that was probably it...and you are right ...the media sucks at reporting what REALLY happened in firearm related incidents....just saw the other day where the spelled Ruger as Rugar...
    I think that they ALL have transfer bars...save for some of the very first single action revolvers. Perhaps he was carrying one of those? It IS Arizona, after all.

Or it could be that it wasn't a Ruger revolver; we all know how accurate the police and media are when it comes to firearms.

-J-

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Media story being incorrect, potentially...

Realistically, NEVER EVER depend on a weapons' "safety function". Be uber careful of what happens, where you are pointing it and what happens.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Television station report said it was a "western-style revolver." I would assume that means a single-action.

Anyone with a pre-1973 Ruger can send it to Ruger for updating to the more modern design. The will do it at no charge and will return the original parts with the gun so it can be returned to original condition for collectors.

If your Ruger has a transfer bar, there is no reason to carry with an empty chamber under the hammer, unless a full cylinder just makes it too heavy.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    IF the story is accurate, it would have to be a pre-1973 SA revolver. All newer Ruger revolvers are drop safe and cannot fire when dropped if they are in proper working condition.

HOWEVER, what is often the case in a situation like this is that the person realizes his handgun is falling and he makes a desperate grab for it. He inadvertantly places his finger inside the trigger guard and pulls the trigger--sometimes without even realizing it.

That is why if you ever feel your handgun falling, it's generally best to LET IT FALL. :twocents:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got my first handgun in 5th grade, a Ruger .22 mag 3 screw (no transfer bar). Got my 3 screw .357 the next yr.

They are safe, even for a kid ;) if one follows the freakin' rules.

I always just loaded one, skipped the next and added 4 more, then the hammer would be rested on the empty.

No Big Deal

I prefer 3 screws, wouldn't send one in for the new style parts. In .44 mag the replacement transfer bar system has a thin spur hammer (or used to) and for me that killed the idea of upgrading on those.

Don't mind a New Model Superblackhawk, but only if in a "pre warning" model. Think they did that around '79.

Irks the crap outta me.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I got my first handgun in 5th grade, a Ruger .22 mag 3 screw (no transfer bar). Got my 3 screw .357 the next yr.

They are safe, even for a kid ;) if one follows the freakin' rules.

I always just loaded one, skipped the next and added 4 more, then the hammer would be rested on the empty.

No Big Deal

I prefer 3 screws, wouldn't send one in for the new style parts. In .44 mag the replacement transfer bar system has a thin spur hammer (or used to) and for me that killed the idea of upgrading on those.

Don't mind a New Model Superblackhawk, but only if in a "pre warning" model. Think they did that around '79.

Irks the crap outta me.

Agreed.....There is no safety system that overcomes stupidity....

Top Bottom