• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Well, I shot my new Ruger SR9c for the first time today.

First, let me say that I think this is one of the most intelligent pistol designs I've ever seen. Given that a new pistol comes out about once a week, and most are retreads of someone else's idea, often with changes to what made the original idea good in the first place.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Ruger, for a variety of reasons. I think their rifles don't shoot nearly as straight as they should in this day and age, and I had a Mark III pistol that malfunctioned and took a PhD in engineering to disassemble and assemble.

So, anyway, back to this pistol, and shooting it. First, the grip is a pleasure. It's very thin, which I like, and indentation at the top of the grip is very deep which allows you to get lots of hand up under the back of the slide. The slide is longer than most pistols of this size, but that's smart because barrel length doesn't effect concealability much.

It comes with a ten round magazine with a very long pinky extension, and a 17 round magazine with a slide on piece that turns it into a full size grip.

I put about 150 rounds through it today. One failure to eject, but that might have been my fault, as it happened when I was trying to shoot groups at 25 yards and my grip was kind of relaxed.

It was as accurate as my CZ (which really means I was able to shoot it as well, since all pistols are more accurate than I am).

The trigger is fantastic. I bit of creep, but I can tell when it's going to go off, and it's very light for a DAO pistol. The reset is crisp.

Here's the odd thing. Though it's a relatively small and light pistol, it has very soft recoil. Softer feeling than any 9mm I've shot. With the long grip the recoil is downright pleasant feeling, and with the shorter grip, the felt recoil was less than my CZ P01.

When I went to +P ammo, the recoil got sharper, of course, but still not bad. With my CZ, you can't tell all that much difference between hotter rounds and normal target ammo, whereas with this Ruger I could tell the difference. For the practice ammo, though, the recoil was very pleasant.

The only thing about the pistol I can find to complain about is the slide release. It was a little stiff. I suspect that will loosen up.

I'm very pleased with this pistol. It's lighter and more concealable than my P01, and seems to shoot just as well. While not as concealable as my Kel Tec PF9, I'm a much better shot with it, whereas with the Kel Tec I need to be close and careful not to spray my shots.

The three magazine plates give incredible flexibility. For most carry, it's got a pinky extension that allows me to get all my fingers on the grip. With the flat plate, it's a two finger grip like a Glock 26. With the extended magazine it's a pure pleasure and 17 + 1 to boot. I can carry light, or come with lots of capacity if I'm wearing a jacket or untucked shirt.

Couldn't be happier.

Spinaltapls1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Avon, IN
    I have been looking to buy a new 9mm. really liked this one glad to hear it is working well for you. How much did you pay for it? going to start looking for one this week

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I agree with everything you said about the SR9c. I love mine, too.

I've read that the slide release is not really a release at all, but is just to hold it back. The way you release the slide on this gun is to go ahead and pull it back, and then it will come forward (With a loaded magazine, or with holding down on the switch while pulling back when empty.) It is different than the standard SR9, which has a switch that works as a release, without pulling back on the slide. (I've had two of them, and they both worked this way.) I could be wrong, but I swore I read that, and every SR9c I've handled has been the same way. (I've handled 4 of them and shot 3).

I'm no expert, so hopefully someone with more knowledge than I will either confirm or correct me on this one.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have been looking to buy a new 9mm. really liked this one glad to hear it is working well for you. How much did you pay for it? going to start looking for one this week

Here's the deal - I paid too much. I'm the world's biggest firearm deal-seeker. However, there's now a gun shop in my little town. We've been needing one desperately, and I wanted to support them. I won't buy many guns from them, maybe I won't buy another, but I'll buy ammo and they'll get transfer money.

I thought I would buy one gun from them to keep me from feeling guilty for going in and handling guns that I haven't seen in person. I thought it was wrong that to go in and handle several of the pistols I was looking at buying and then just ordering off the internet.

I could have gotten the gun with free shipping for around $400 or a little less. Of course when you factor in shipping and transfer, it comes to more. I paid $500 at the gun shop. So I took a hit, and I told the owner the price I found on the internet and why I was buying from him.

So, not nearly as good a deal as I usually get, but I figure I was paying for services and promoting their success which adds to my convenience.

So now it's back to the internet for the next one.,

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I just started to look at compact 9mm's to carry. I have the Ruger LC9 on my list, but I think I will check the one out when I am looking also and see how it compares. Thanks for the report!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Good choice in firearm. Love mine with a Supertuck holster.

Principal Skinr is right. That tab is a "slide stop" and not a slide release. From the manual:
    The slide stop can be released by drawing back slightly on the slide and depressing the slide stop thumbpiece. When the slide is released, it will move
    forward under pressure from the recoil spring.

Two suggestions- If you don't like magazine disconnect safeties, it is easy to disconnect. Check YouTube for instructions. I recommend cleaning out the striker channel early on. I had metal filings in mine that caused a couple of light strikes. It has been 100% since cleaning out that channel.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Good choice in firearm. Love mine with a Supertuck holster.

Principal Skinr is right. That tab is a "slide stop" and not a slide release. From the manual:

Two suggestions- If you don't like magazine disconnect safeties, it is easy to disconnect. Check YouTube for instructions. I recommend cleaning out the striker channel early on. I had metal filings in mine that caused a couple of light strikes. It has been 100% since cleaning out that channel.

At the risk of losing my man card, I actually like the feature. I know, I know, I know the arguments against. I just think that given the odds that it will ever come into play compared to the odds that someone might forget they've taken out the mag but not emptied the chamber, I'll take the feature. I also like the "loaded" indicator.

And sometimes I wear pink. It makes me feel sexy.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    On the slide stop, rather than release. That makes sense. I didn't know there was a distinction. I wondered, since everything else about the pistol seemed so excellent.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Thanks for good report, got my wife a besra 380 and she dosen't like it. This my be something she would be interested in. I've heard they don't have very good resale, anyone else heard this or was I mislead.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    At the risk of losing my man card, I actually like the feature. I know, I know, I know the arguments against. I just think that given the odds that it will ever come into play compared to the odds that someone might forget they've taken out the mag but not emptied the chamber, I'll take the feature. I also like the "loaded" indicator.

No risk on the man card. Just pointing that out because many hate it. The loaded indicator is overdone, but I like having one.

And sometimes I wear pink. It makes me feel sexy.

Well. Maybe I spoke too soon....

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Thanks for good report, got my wife a besra 380 and she dosen't like it. This my be something she would be interested in. I've heard they don't have very good resale, anyone else heard this or was I mislead.

Sorry to hear that. The SR9c is larger than the Bersa 380, but many like the shape of the grip. Make sure she tries handling it at a gun shop/gun show and if possible, gets a chance to test fire before you commit to buying. She really needs to be the one to choose the gun rather than you, but the SR9c is certainly a good choice if she likes it.

brknspls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    NE Central Indiana
    Thanks for your insight. I am in the process of selecting my first firearm. I have been eyeballing the SR9c. This being my first handgun, I want it to be manageable. You state that the recoil is soft and the gun itself is light. This is consistent with what I have read elsewhere and helped confirmed that I am considering the right gun for me. I also really like the loaded chamber indicator this gun provides.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I'm pretty happy with mine and agree with your report. The side safety is a little small though and with the short trigger pull, I might carry it with it on but I'm not sure yet. None of my other carry pistols have safeties and I'm okay with that.

Did you get the all black pistol or two tone?

Top Bottom