• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Looking at buying the first gun and the S&W M&P pistols seem to get really good reviews. Would it make sense to get both the 22 and the 9mm or larger caliber as a set for both the purpose of maybe saving a couple of bucks if bought together and the practical purpose of using the 22 for gaining skill and having the other gun for lighter practice and home protection? Does the 22 replicate shooting the larger calibers at least as the gun size and feel. I understand recoil won't be comparable, but since I really don't know what I'm doing, I just thought I'd ask. Thanks :rolleyes:

indycruzr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Indy Westside
    That is what I did yesterday. I picked up a M&P 22LR pistol for some low cost IDPA practice. It's the same size as my M&P 45. The new pistol fits my holsters for my .45. While it is not the same weight, the size and grip are very similar. Now just need to pick up a couple of spare mags for it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Looking at buying the first gun and the S&W M&P pistols seem to get really good reviews. Would it make sense to get both the 22 and the 9mm or larger caliber as a set for both the purpose of maybe saving a couple of bucks if bought together and the practical purpose of using the 22 for gaining skill and having the other gun for lighter practice and home protection? Does the 22 replicate shooting the larger calibers at least as the gun size and feel. I understand recoil won't be comparable, but since I really don't know what I'm doing, I just thought I'd ask. Thanks :rolleyes:

My wife's carry is a 9c. Getting the .22 for practice is our plan.

That is what I did yesterday. I picked up a M&P 22LR pistol for some low cost IDPA practice. It's the same size as my M&P 45. The new pistol fits my holsters for my .45. While it is not the same weight, the size and grip are very similar. Now just need to pick up a couple of spare mags for it.

Could you share where & how much? PM if you prefer.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd say it makes perfect sense. I've recently done this with the M&P 15-22 rifle to mimic my AR, as well as a Glock Advantage Arms Conversion kit to mimic my Glock 27. Training with the 22 will help you work on your mechanics, etc, (and not the price of ammo ;)) as long as you focus while shooting. It can also make you sloppy if you don't focus.

It allows me to put a lot more rounds down range as well.

During a range session, shoot the 22 until you feel like you are focused and on your game, then switch to the centerfire and continue for a bit. You will be able to see some good improvement.

For the price of the 22, I'd say it is well worth it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've sort of been looking at a 1911 in .22 for cheap fun shooting plus practice with a 1911. I've got one but would like to pick up another in the future for carry. I might look into the Glock Advantage Arms kit as my Glock 27 is what would be my EDC, if I could carry daily without worrying about getting kicked out of school.

dyoung707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Mooresville
    Love both my M&P 45 and my M&P 22. I like the fact I can shoot for 4 cents per shot all day long. I havn't got any yet, but 22 mags are starting to become available.

Top Bottom