• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Cosmetics aside, is there any reason to go with the wood stock on a Savage Trophy Hunter rifle? I handled a wood stock one at Bradis the other day and its been on my mind ever since, it just seems awfully light for a wood stock. Are they solid wood or is some type of laminate?

They had the 30.06 in stock (probably gone by now), but I'm holding out for a .308.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    i love the wood grain on a rifle , but if you are wanting to get into precision and adjustable stocks then of course go with a synthetic ....

i also don't mind if i bump a synthetic against something and create a little "smudge"......... on the wood furniture i'm kicking myself the rest of the day ...

just my $0.02

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I guess it depends on the purpose of the rifle. Field gun I would go with synthetic, safe queen...woooooood.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't really care how it looks. Its for a possible upcoming hog hunt in TX. Afterward it'll likely either sit in the safe most of the time and get played with at the range occasionally.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a Savage .270 in synthetic but mine is a hunter. Went with synthetic because I was going to be using it in the woods and brush. My Pops has the same rifle pretty much but with a wood stock and it's weatherd to the max because its been in the woods for 10+ years. Still holds zero and is a shooter but the stock is beat up. For a hunter I'd go with synthetic, just my opinion.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I've always loved the look and feel of a good wood stock. That being said my hunting rifles are mostly synthetic cause I just can't bear to beat up a beautiful rifle.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Having tired both wood and synthetic on my Remington M700, I can say for certain that wood feels better in the hands. Nothing wrong with synthetic, in some ways it's superior, but it's cold and lifeless. If you like wood get it, free float it or bed it if you feel the need, and don't worry yourself over it getting honest wear marks. They just show that it's loved.

None of my wood dressed firearms are safe queens and none have failed yet due to normal handling.

jaybob275

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    If you're doing some nice cold weather hunting the synthetic would be best because of heating and cooling and moisture level change. If you're doing nothing special I would suggest a real nice wood stock, even like an ebony wood finished nicely.

j.scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    All synthetic stocks feel and look the same to me. I prefer the wood stock. When it gets dinged and scratched, it just shows how much you like it...Like an old guitar. It adds character and feels good.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    The new Savage rifles with the syn stocks are called "Accu-Stocks" because they have a metal plate in the bedding area the the action beds to for a solid non changing seat. The wood stocks do not have this Accu-Stock" feature as they basically bed onto the wood.

fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    I'd cry if I hurt a nice wood stocked savage. A laminate or glass stock, not so much. So if you were hunting out west in open place, nice wood would (ha!) be fine I think, but field hunting in the sticks? Probably not. I have a laminate savage btw, solid stock, very accurate, but heavy.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I despise the standard Savage Black Tupperware Plastic Stock. I have used epoxy and fiberglass rods in the forearm to stiffen them up. Even then, they flex too much for my liking.

I prefer glass bedding an action into a wood stock while free floating the barrel. The wood stock feels more rigid and can be modified to fit your specific size and application.

Or go with a quality synthetic stock such as a McMillan or Choate.

Top Bottom