• ...and so much more!
  • Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've worked through quite a bit of my stock this year, and needed to order some extra bullets. I about dropped my drawers when I saw how expensive factory bullets are these days. After some looking, I came across the 'scratch and dent' section at Midway USA. I guess I always knew it was there, but never really spent any time on it. Got some factory seconds at 40% off and aside from a stain or two on the copper (which I'm sure the deer won't mind,) they're perfect.

I know everyone is trying to save a buck or two where they can, so take a look here before paying full price.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    For 17 caliber and 50 - 55 grain 223 loads years ago I went to DogTowns from Midway or the varmint nightmares from Mid South. I believe they are import Noslers.
    I have swapped over to Privi 69 and 75 grain .224 bullets for normal range use.
    I have some of the 30 caliber Monster Match 30 calibers, but I haven't shot any.

As you know already,
    Ive been shooting pulls or seconds for decades now.

Edit, I did take a peek. 77 Serrias were cheaper than Privi's, with free ship not a bad deal for 500.
    .Thanks Andy.

Last edited:

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have decent luck with midway USA 2nd's , but dod you notice the filter was gone....took for flipping ever to find the projectile I wanted, only to find there out of stock.....
    I also noticed Hornady has risen there prices to the point where Seria prices are not unaffordable.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have been buying 2nd's from many sources for years, i also buy pulled bullets too, My recommendation is to watch the pricing at midway as some of there seconds can cost more than the non 2nds. As to match ammo i don't use 2nds in any money competitions

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    How much of an accuracy drop off do you precision shooters see in using seconds or pulls? Is the difference discernable to an average shooter?

Do you separate the seconds/pulls into weights, visual, or other categories to try to keep groups consistent or just write the whole lot off as "gonna be (for example) 2MOA"?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    How much of an accuracy drop off do you precision shooters see in using seconds or pulls? Is the difference discernable to an average shooter?

Do you separate the seconds/pulls into weights, visual, or other categories to try to keep groups consistent or just write the whole lot off as "gonna be (for example) 2MOA"?

Pulls come in different grades depending on how they were pulled, hand, collet and split the case neck and the bullet is then pulled out.
    Usually thats done with mil spec rounds with a tar based sealants on the bullet.
    #1's through #3's.
    More modern collet pulls tend to be pretty clean. Ive never myself used pulls to shoot in a match but ive used second rifle bullets out to 300 yds.
    Most 2nds I have seen you need to look at color difference to see any difference
    Same with weighing 2nds, for most shooters.I believe will never see the difference.

Top Bottom