• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguyguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    Cicero
    If one carries their semi auto pistol (in my case a Kahr P380) fully cocked for a long time--does it hurt the springs (in the pistol or mag)? Maybe a dumb question but I got to thinking about it and figured I could ask.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    No sir it does not. Alternating stresses are what fatigues metals. This is the same reason that it is not bad to leave magazines fully loaded. You will be able to find a lot of information on that.

It is actually worse on your spring for you to shoot your gun!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If one carries their semi auto pistol (in my case a Kahr P380) fully cocked for a long time--

Your Kahr cannot be "fully cocked for a long time" - it has a double-action trigger, which means that pulling the trigger both cocks and then releases the striker. The only time the striker is fully cocked is just before it releases to fire the round.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Regarding semi-auto magazines, while I agree that the springs don't really mind having ammo in them for long periods, you should take the rounds out, disassemble, and clean the inside of the magazine if you carry it. All sorts of crud gets trapped inside and may eventually cause it to jam up when you need it most.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Your Kahr cannot be "fully cocked for a long time" - it has a double-action trigger, which means that pulling the trigger both cocks and then releases the striker. The only time the striker is fully cocked is just before it releases to fire the round.

this, makes for a much different feel than i was used to...but i actually like it

Top Bottom