• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I was at a show today kicking tires at a table. Guy comes up with an older S&W M&P. Shows it to the table guy. He examines it then hands it back, pointing out that the bottom of the grip has been filed down, removing the serial number. I tell the guy he better be careful, that gun can get him a nice long paid vacation at club fed. Table guy says it's ok long as you dont try to sell it. He checked it again and found what he said was the serial on the back end of the cylinder, really small. Said it would also be on the bottom of the barrel. Said all S&W revos have this. I call BS on this since I checked my S&W's and none of them have this "feature". Opinions?

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I would think mere possesion of a gun with filed off serial numbers is a crime. Then the question becomes do you drop it into a large body of water, destroy it some other way, or turn it over to the authorities?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    On a S&W there should be a serial number in more than one place. It should be on the inside of the cylinder chamber, only visible when you drop the cylinder. There should be one when you take off the grips too. I don't have any that have one on the barrel.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Table guy says it's ok long as you dont try to sell it.

Wrong. If it is actually obliterated, a person cannot possess the handgun.

IC 35-47-2-18
    Obliterating identification marks on handgun or possession of such handguns prohibited
    Sec. 18. No person shall:
    (1) change, alter, remove, or obliterate the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification on any handgun; or
    (2) possess any handgun on which the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's serial number, or other mark of identification has been changed, altered, removed, or obliterated;
    except as provided by applicable United States statute.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Agree with the run away from something like that. Thanks to Frank_N_Stein for posting the law as well. I would have figured it was illegal, but always nice to have the law to back it up

Top Bottom