• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    i have an old stevens double barrel 16g shotgun i got from my grmpa. Im looking to get ins coverage on all my firearms, so the insurance is asking for #'s. I cant find any on it at all. On one side it has the dog stamped and on the other it just says stevens. Anyone know where it would be???? Not on barrel or anything. Me and my dad had it reblued about 10-12 years ago, could that hav covered it up or in some way degraded the #'s???? Thanks everyone.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    serial numbers were not required before the 68 gca. I have several non serialed rifles.

Bluing would not cover it up.

Your shotgun is worth way more in sentimental value - if they won't insure it, you're not really on the hook for any real financial risk. Insurance can't replace stuff like that.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    thats the answer i ws looking for.... i will check how old the gun is, cause it is probably older than '68. yes the gun is more sentimental than anything, i just ddnt know they ddnt have #'s befre then... You learn something new everyday i guess. Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    As mentioned earlier, on the Stevens shotguns, manufactured between 1949 and 1970, you can find the date code, ahead of the trigger guard on the bottom of the frame (or ahead of the hinge pin). It is a small circle (very small) with a letter and a number in it. The letters indicate the year of manufacture starting with A in 1949 (a very good year by the way) and ending in X in 1970. The letters Q and O were not used.

With this information, you should be able to figure out the year your gun was manufactured. Good luck.

Last edited:

mkgr22

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Starlight, IN
    Have you broken the shotgun down? Most Stevens shotguns I have or have seen have the serial stamped on the bottom of the barrel, the inside top of the receiver, the metal bracket of the forend, and even the wooden forend and stock.

Pull down on the front of the wooden forend, remove it from the gun, open the action as if you're loading it, then swing the barrels all the way off the receiver. The serial number should be easily viewed then.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Have you broken the shotgun down? Most Stevens shotguns I have or have seen have the serial stamped on the bottom of the barrel, the inside top of the receiver, the metal bracket of the forend, and even the wooden forend and stock.

Pull down on the front of the wooden forend, remove it from the gun, open the action as if you're loading it, then swing the barrels all the way off the receiver. The serial number should be easily viewed then.

My Savage/Stevens/Fox B from 1968 has zero numbers on it

Top Bottom