• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hellion_1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have an old school SOG SogWinder. This blade has seen some heavy **** over the years. I took it to the 1500 and the older couple up there tried to sharpen/polish it, but it ended up not that sharp, and they hit the brass thumb studs with their power tools and removed metal from them.

I am a "function over form" kind of guy, but I want this blade restored to it's former glory if possible. I know there is someone here that puts a razor sharp/mirror smooth edge on knives. I am looking to get the blade and other metal cleaned up, and a wicked edge put back on it. Who can guide me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for your time. Here is what I have:

sog1.jpg

sog2.jpg

sog3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    If you are wanting to do it yourself, I have yet to find a knife that my Spyderco Sharpmaker won't sharpen. All my knives are razor sharp, and will shave paper laying flat on a table. Polishing however... You may need someone else's opinion :D

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    If you are wanting to do it yourself, I have yet to find a knife that my Spyderco Sharpmaker won't sharpen. All my knives are razor sharp, and will shave paper laying flat on a table. Polishing however... You may need someone else's opinion :D

Where can I find a Spyderco Sharpmaker?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Where can I find a Spyderco Sharpmaker?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharpmaker-Sharpener-204MF/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359644107&sr=8-1&keywords=Sharpmaker]Amazon.com: Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker Knife Sharpener 204MF: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The bottom of a ceramic coffee cup works in a pinch...

This got me curious, so I Googled it and tried it on one of my cheap kitchen knives. It actually worked!

Not sure I would do it to one of my Kershaws, but for a kitchen knife it works easily enough.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I do not mean to be disrespectful,or to damage anyone in any way,but let me say,DO NOT allow the belt grinder people at the 1500 sharpen anything that is valuable to you...

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Knife snobs. That old guy got my xm 24 Hinderer singing and sparks flying he was wicked good at sharpening, and now my wharny xm24 looks just like my spanto xm18 woo hoo 5 dollar make you hollar :) ok that should all be in Purple..... I mean really people a belt grinder at a gunshow? ya think :)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I do not mean to be disrespectful,or to damage anyone in any way,but let me say,DO NOT allow the belt grinder people at the 1500 sharpen anything that is valuable to you...

This.

I let them handle a few cheap knives and they did fine... then I let them handle a Busse with a convex edge, and they ****ed it all up.

I mean, how do you **** up a convex edge with a BELT SANDER? That's what you use to grind one in the first damned place.

They turned it into a v grind.

Top Bottom