Shooting a shotgun without a choke present?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    While I am not new to shotguns, I am new to owning a shotgun that accepts chokes.
    My 1301 came with a Beretta OEM IC choke in it. (I used different chokes for the steel match this past weekend.)

Not that I have any intentions to do this but...(My guess is: it's a really bad idea.)
    Will the threads be damaged by running the barrel with no choke screwed in?

Even if not immediately, over time maybe?

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    If shot without a choke screwed in, on an infrequent basis, I've never heard of the threads getting damaged from lead shot; steel shot yes, but not lead. For sure the threads will get fouled up, and the more you shoot without a choke screwed in, the worse it will get.

Bigger question is why would you ever want to do this?

Chokes are cheap, even a custom made choke isn't going to break the bank. Fiddle around with the different chokes for the games you're playing and eventually you'll hit on the right one for each game. The hard part is keeping track of the data so that you can segregate the keepers from the sellers.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    If shot without a choke screwed in, on an infrequent basis, I've never heard of the threads getting damaged from lead shot; steel shot yes, but not lead. For sure the threads will get fouled up, and the more you shoot without a choke screwed in, the worse it will get.

Bigger question is why would you ever want to do this?

Chokes are cheap, even a custom made choke isn't going to break the bank. Fiddle around with the different chokes for the games you're playing and eventually you'll hit on the right one for each game. The hard part is keeping track of the data so that you can segregate the keepers from the sellers.
    Your first paragraph gave me all needed to know. Thank you.

I don't want to do it at all. My question was really more along the lines of 'what happens if I forgot to re-install a choke after cleaning, etc?'

The rest of this I know. As indicated in my post, I have a few chokes that I am working with now.
    Thanks again.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My experience tells me that the problem isn't not actually having the choke present, it is trying to reinstall one after having one absent.

I have seen all too many chokes tubes go rolling down the range from not being fully seated at time of discharge and gummed up threads would tend to make you think the tube is seated from the resistance on installation.

It would be a minor thing to 'chase' the threads if it occurred, but who knows an occasional shooter with patience like that? We must bend this tool to our will in as timely a fashion as possible!

Side rant: I am currently working on two double barrels that the owners must have thought you needed to break them open across your knee. The firing pins have a tendency to stick with age interfering with the opening of the action, so obviously force is the answer. Unfortunately when positioning the weapon to break it on your knee it is difficult to hold the release lever in the proper position with your thumb and the otherwise useful parts are now in broken shards on the ground. This is the mentality I speak of, I don't think it changes with the type of weapon used...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Your 1301 comes with a nicer newer barrel that has extended forcing cones that are very expensive to replace. Please always shoot it with a choke tube installed to protect the threads. The choke system is a big part of what gives a shotgun the versatility it has as a platform IMHO, you don't want to chance messing that up.

$670 for a replacement barrel

$80 for a top of the line choke , that's some of the easiest math I have ever done in my life. People don't realize how expensive nice shotgun barrels are, but they are not cheap.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I saw a man forget a choke and shoot a round of trap. Once he cleaned out the debris with a small brass brush and oiled the threads, all was ok.

He was at a trap shoot and in between rounds. It was common to socialize by the truck tail gates. He took the choke out, put a little lube on the treads, and was showing his new choke to us. I went in the club house and got us coffee. A couple jokes were told, and our squad was called to the line. We hurried and grabbed our guns, and shot the round. Coming back to the tail gate, his new choke and his old choke were still on the tail gate. Funny thing, it did not affect his score. We have all seen people swear that "X " brand chokes improved the scores. I have $400 in Optima extended chokes myself, but maybe chokes are not as big of factor as we want to believe.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I saw a man forget a choke and shoot a round of trap. Once he cleaned out the debris with a small brass brush and oiled the threads, all was ok.

He was at a trap shoot and in between rounds. It was common to socialize by the truck tail gates. He took the choke out, put a little lube on the treads, and was showing his new choke to us. I went in the club house and got us coffee. A couple jokes were told, and our squad was called to the line. We hurried and grabbed our guns, and shot the round. Coming back to the tail gate, his new choke and his old choke were still on the tail gate. Funny thing, it did not affect his score. We have all seen people swear that "X " brand chokes improved the scores. I have $400 in Optima extended chokes myself, but maybe chokes are not as big of factor as we want to believe.
    Spread is spread. If it was need for a tighter pattern he probably would have found his error earlier.

That is why I go old school, I found myself always checking the tightness of the choke tube with my finger. Compulsion had me doing it with it loaded. I decided I wanted to keep my finger. So I sold my LH 870 and have multiple barrel A5's now.

I still have the finger...

Top Bottom