• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    What is the average pistol shooting distance? I was shooting at 45’ last night and shooting 3” groups most of the time. Thinking this is pretty good ! .Ok so here we go this is with a glock 17 and yes groups are to the left and I know the wrong thing is to move the sight . But I did and now the 3” groups are in the center. Now back to the question how far is a good distance to shoot for accuracy on paper targets .

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I practice at 50' and can usually maintain 3" groups for slow aimed fire. The key to practice though is to mix it up and run drills. Double taps, timed draw and fire, reload drills, etc.

The local PD qualifies at varying ranges from 5' to 75'. I've shot their qualification course a couple of times and my score is usually near perfect.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Depends on what you are practicing for? A 45 ft "defensive shot" is probably not realistic. You're much more likely to be much closer than that in such a situation.

I don't see anything wrong with target practice at that distance with a handgun, I do it myself and it's fun. But unless your only interest in handgun shooting is target, you should practice shooting groups at self-defense ranges like 10-20 ft.

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have a place at my farm with a hut to stand in so I can
    retrieve my brass . Fifty feet is about max for me to be safe were I am at behine a pond dam . I have about fifteen steel hanging targets from 4"x 16", 15x18 , and most 12x12 in size at diferent distance to drill on fast shooting .

averycustom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    When I test a pistol for accuracy I shoot paper at 25 yards; for social work groups 3 inches diameter are acceptable to me at that distance. This is with an iron sighted pistol using full power ammunition. Using light target loads, target sights, one inch groups at 25 would be acceptable.

Regards,

Mark

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The standard distance for full size pistols for accuracy testing is normally 25 yards. Smaller frame pistols and snub revolvers are much less usually either 10 or 15 yards.

As far as practical world there is a theroy that most defensive shootings take palce in 3's. 3 yards, 3 shots in 3 seconds. That is somewhat an acurate accessment for a non LE shooting in a defensive scenerio but for most LE shootings not so much.

Afteraction investigations on LE shootings as well as in most force on force training the firearm is emptied more time than not. Not because of bad marsmanship but because since the early 1990's trainig has been emphasised to "shoot til the threat goes away" etc.

Not defending anything just explaining what I have seen

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I tend to use 50 or 75 feet for most handguns depending on where I am. I used 50-100-150 and 200 yards for big bore metallic handgun matches, but you don't shoot those with a compact .40 S&W.
    I also recommend buying NRA standard targets that are designed for those distances. A standardized target helps you quantify if you are gaining or losing skill and accuracy.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    For me, it depends greatly on the handgun in question. Most of the time when I am practicing with self defense type handguns, I limit the range to 7-10 yards, especially when I am shooting with someone that is focused solely of SD type use of handguns. I have, on occasion, stretched that distance with my full size service pistols, and even my little J frame to 25 yards, as a means to exaggerate my groups and force me to focus on fundamentals.

My hunting handguns, I tend to start out at 20-25 yards, and with the 357 and 44 mag, I stretch it out to 40-50 yards to ensure I am capable of humane shots on deer with them.

My dad runs his hunting handguns out to 100 yards or so, and even stretches his 45-70 out to 200 when he is looking to challenge his skills.

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thanks for all the good info. I quest im in the ball park and now all I need to do is hope after rounds and rounds the left thing gets better.For now keep them in the center.

Top Bottom