Short, even youth sized, .410 for bunnies in the brush.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbang

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    What are you using? What don't you like that you've tried?

I've been using an old Monkey Wards single shot with pretty good succes. However its L O N G, and a pump would be nice as well.

What say ye?

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    H&r tamer is nice, short and full choke. It is a single shot though. Its probably 32-32 inches long and the stock holds a few shells inside it

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Check out the new Savage Model 42. Its a remake of the old 24 O/U combo gun. Its not too long, its perfectly sized for youth and very ergonomic. Light weight and you have the flexibility to use 22 rimfire cartridges in addition to .410 shells.

I will be getting one for both my sons when they are old enough to begin using actual firearms.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    What are you using? What don't you like that you've tried?

I've been using an old Monkey Wards single shot with pretty good succes. However its L O N G, and a pump would be nice as well.

What say ye?

Have you considered cutting down the barrel? A pipe cutter and a little bit of patience can work wonders.

ederue

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    I bought the Circuit Judge carbine for my son to deer hunt with the .45LC... works great for .410. just swap the choke out. short, quick, it jumps on the shoulder with easily controllable recoil. 5 round cylinder and on sale this week at Dunham's. I really enjoy shooting this carbine.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a Mossberg 500 in .410 ga. I've taken a couple of doe with it. Not too heavy if you get the composite stock. Pump action, just like the 12 and 20 ga's. Nice little .410.

I can't say anything about using shot in it though. I've never been one to use a shotgun for rabbit.

I will second the Savage model 24 (older) or the Savage model 42 (newer). These are great little combo guns, but illegal in Indiana for deer.

Also look at the Rossi youth matched pair, or even the Trifecta.
    Two, or three guns in one respectively.

The youth matched pairs come in a slew of different combinations. I have one in .22Lr/20ga.
    They're also available in .22Lr/.410ga, .22Lr/12ga, .22mag/12ga.
    The Trifecta's are a three barrel combo, generally a small caliber rifle barrel, a shotgun barrel, and sometimes a muzzle-loader barrel.

Many, many different combo's, and if the youth ever out-grows the stock, it can be replaced with one of a longer length.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have a Mossberg 500 in .410 ga. I've taken a couple of doe with it. Not too heavy if you get the composite stock. Pump action, just like the 12 and 20 ga's. Nice little .410.

I can't say anything about using shot in it though. I've never been one to use a shotgun for rabbit.

I will second the Savage model 24 (older) or the Savage model 42 (newer). These are great little combo guns, but illegal in Indiana for deer.

Also look at the Rossi youth matched pair, or even the Trifecta.
    Two, or three guns in one respectively.

The youth matched pairs come in a slew of different combinations. I have one in .22Lr/20ga.
    They're also available in .22Lr/.410ga, .22Lr/12ga, .22mag/12ga.
    The Trifecta's are a three barrel combo, generally a small caliber rifle barrel, a shotgun barrel, and sometimes a muzzle-loader barrel.

Many, many different combo's, and if the youth ever out-grows the stock, it can be replaced with one of a longer length.

IMO, the Rossi are to lite. I bought the 22/410 combo for my girls. After shooting shells through the 410 I sold it because it had to much recoil. If your going single shot I would stick with wood stock and heavy barrel if possible.

Top Bottom