• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My grandson and I are playing with a ridiculous little cap and ball derringer. It's one of those little .36 cal. pistols where you twist/rotate the barrels, sort of like a pepperbox but with only two shots. Now this is no fine quality firearm but we are having lots of fun. I would like to install bead front sights where it has nothing at all in the way of sights. Unfortunately I am seeing prices to do gunsmithing that far exceeds the value of the pistol itself. So......

Where can I get two simple beads drilled and tapped for a price commensurate with the value of a toy pistol as opposed to that of a fine shotgun? I am not going to spend a hundred dollars on a seventy-five dollar gun when I could get us another fun toy for that price. Any ideas anyone?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    It's been my experience that you can have it done quick, cheap, or correctly. Pick one.

Machines used to drill and tap a simple bead are expensive. So is the tooling, supplies, and 3 phase power. Not to mention set up time.

I understand what you are looking for, but understand that asking someone to do it cheap, is like asking someone to do it halfway.

If you don't care what it looks like, and you don't want to spend the money, buy a bead from Brownells, a drill bit and tap, and do it yourself with a hand drill. Just take your time and make sure you're square and level.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    To go really cheap and easy, drill the holes very slightly oversized, pack with JB Weld, then press in the beads. I bet for the intended use, that would hold.

My apologies to the craftsmen on the site who read the above and shuddered.

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    Alternately...dremel a slot in the top of each side of the barrel and JB Weld half a silver dime into each slot you cut. Makes for an affordable, attractive serrated blade sght.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    All very fine ideas, each one adequate for the purpose. I do think pharmboy is the winner though, a dime or maybe a copper penny! Thats a very nice idea. Now i am looking through my coins for an 1865 or so coin to add authenticity to the install. Upon contemplation i bet it would be period tech to crimp the slot on both sides with a cold chisel to fasten the dime tight. I have an old H&R revolver with a blade pinned just like that! Thanks all!

pharmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shelbyville
    All very fine ideas, each one adequate for the purpose. I do think pharmboy is the winner though, a dime or maybe a copper penny! Thats a very nice idea. Now i am looking through my coins for an 1865 or so coin to add authenticity to the install. Upon contemplation i bet it would be period tech to crimp the slot on both sides with a cold chisel to fasten the dime tight. I have an old H&R revolver with a blade pinned just like that! Thanks all!

If you can't find one In your collection, pawn shops tend to sell well-circulated silver coinage for around 13x face value.

Top Bottom