• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Just started loading shotshell, been reading up on it for a while.

Started with .410 & trying to get everything dialed in. Recovered a few wads & noticed some of the #9 shot embedded in the shot cup.

Is this normal or caused by something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2023-11-13 16.39.06.jpg

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Only thing I can think of is soft wads. I don't recall ever seeing any with that degree of indentation from the shot.
    Looked it up but no one had answers.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    .410 is a treat to load. Are you loading 2 1/2” or 3”? I have found it necessary to really make sure the wad is fully seated before dropping the shot. If not, you can over-compress the shot column into the wad and cause what you are seeing here.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    .410 is a treat to load. Are you loading 2 1/2” or 3”? I have found it necessary to really make sure the wad is fully seated before dropping the shot. If not, you can over-compress the shot column into the wad and cause what you are seeing here.

2.5"
    I believe I am fully seating the wad, had some pullback on a couple so I was verifying with a small dowell pushing it down.

The bar is throwing a little lighter than 1/2 oz but velocity is low, around 1070-1125 +or- out of 22" barrel. It would make sense to me if I was pushing higher velocities but these are fairly anemic.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    What kind of wad is that, Federal? I have never seen this when using Win AA cup wads or claybuster equivalents, but then again, I guess I don't meticulously retrieve and examine spent wads either.

The setback upon firing is greater than anything experienced in the loading process, so I'd recommend another wad as the first culprit. Or try using #8 shot.

Reactions: Leo

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Build a shell, then don’t fire it.

Dismantle the shell and see what you see.

Compare this to what you see from a fired shell. May tell you a lot, or may tell you nothing. Best o Luck

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I used aliant 410 with claybuster was for years. Never saw this before. I looked at alot of my wads over the years. 410 wads dont make it very far easy to find and pick up. Loaded 9 or 8.5 exclusively in 410.
    I do load to 1250fps. Or 1300.
    How dirty is your barrel. Being slower speeds you may not be creating enough pressure for a good burn. Causing something like this. I also have never shot under a 30" barrel.
    Your shorter barrel with low speed may not be the optimal setup for your load recipe. Primer makes a difference too.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I scoop them up by the bucket load from my own yard every year. Not counting all the ones that go straight in to the fire pit with the mowed and collected grass.
    Mine end up in the corn field, plow‘em in, wife goes through about 5-6 hundred a year. Same with clay birds. It hasn’t hurt the yield. :lmfao:

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Mine end up in the corn field, plow‘em in, wife goes through about 5-6 hundred a year. Same with clay birds. It hasn’t hurt the yield. :lmfao:
    If plastic and brass helps your yield I’d be willing to fertilize your field.

• Haha
    Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom